PLEASE stop asking about your eyes!!! Read the art

Vomiting on long hau
I have traveled a lot (almost 2 million miles) the

Can you become an ai
Hi captain , I had an accident 15 yrs ago and ha

Does a jet aircraft
Reading through the comments was both entertaining

Does a jet aircraft
So many nonsense here... Earth isn't flat. Period.

What are the cruisin
"how in the hell can you reach JFK if you leave fr

What are the eyesigh
tjsoihsdojfsioufs f post

Paperback Version

For Local Availability - Check Here

Home > Job Opportunities > Which airlines should I choose to work with - Singapore or Ryanair?
Which airlines should I choose to work with - Singapore or Ryanair?
Professional Pilots - Job Opportunities
Written by Capt Lim   
Tuesday, 13 March 2007 16:06

Dear Captain Lim,

I've got a UK CAA ATPL from Oxford Aviation Training and am just about to embark on my aviation career. I am in the fortunate position where I can choose between two companies to work for. I have been offered a place on the cadet program for SIA but will probably do an abridged course given my qualifications. I*ve also been offered a job as an FO at Ryanair in the UK on the Boeing 737-800 but I have to pay for my type rating, therefore no training bond.

As I am a Hong Kong resident, I would like to one day return to HK and fly for, say CX or KA, however, if I was able to progress well in SIA, then I would stick with them.

The biggest reason for not joining SIA is the low pay. I don*t mind giving up my UK citizenship to become a Singaporean but I need to know whether the financial gain is worth it. Also, the 7-year bond is very expensive to buy out if I am not happy.

My question to you is, based on the starting salary on SGD 4485 a month + benefits, will I be living a very humble lifestyle until my bond expires? I've heard SQ FO's are finding it quite difficult with their current salaries. Could you please shed some light on this matter?

Regards,

Johnny

Hi Johnny,

If you are looking for a career that put you near the top league of flying - Singapore Airlines is the place to go for. No doubt the pay is low at the bottom initially, you would have the chance of flying some the best machines in the world!

Getting a rating on any of these planes - Boeing 777-300ER, Airbus A340, Boeing 747-400 (Airbus A380 - much later), you would be much sought after at the end of your 7-year bond, assuming you intend to leave. As a FO on the Boeing 737-800, you may get a better pay in UK now, but your route to a proper airline (British Airways, Cathay Pacific, Emirates, etc) may be quite an uphill task.

Yes, the starting pay in SQ is low and it may not give you the level of lifestyle that you are looking for if you were comparing it to places like UK or Hong Kong. I know of many aspiring pilots who do not mind slogging for lower pay but know that the future is brighter in the end. Unless you are offered a job with Cathay Pacific (since you are also a Hong Kong resident) that would be a different story as CX is one of the better airlines in the Far East where pay is concerned.

Okay, take your pick now! I wish you all the best!

Trackback(0)

TrackBack URI for this entry

Comments (3)

Subscribe to this comment's feed
Mr
Dear Johnny and Captain Lim,

With regards to this subject of Lo-Co or SQ, I found myself in a very similar situation. I am a UK born Chinese (with a HKG ID) who also went to OATS. I joined SQ on an abridged course and am flying the B744 with SQ. Johnny has failed to realise that he has not factored allowances nor the profit sharing which all in all can more double the figure mentioned. CX might be an option but 3to4 years as a relief pilot and not truly being licensed to fly a wide body before promotion to Junior FO has to be considered. Joining Ryanair or Easyjet is a different ballgame.
Robert Chan , 23 Feb, 2008
about cadet pilot programme
hello sir
i want to know what is assessment in relation with cadet pilot programme. I need u explane me assessment and assessment day.
sunil kumar , 29 May, 2009
DEAR CAPT...

IT IS POSSIBLE FOR ME TO APPLY FOR CPL AFTER I PASS MY PPL?OR I NEED TO FOLLOW CPL REQUIREMENT WHICH WE NEED TO PASS @ CREDIT IN MATH DURING SPM.WHICH ONE THEY WANT TO SEE?SPM@DEGREE..I'VE DEGREE IN TOURISM..SIR I REALLY NEED YOUR OPINION AS AN EXPERT..kindly email to me..Thank you SIR..(danr_potter@yahoo.co.uk)

REGARDS
Z
Z , 13 Mar, 2010

Write comment

smaller | bigger

busy

Paperback Version

For Local Availability - Check Here

Recommended By..

LIFE IN THE SKIES

'A Local Bestseller!'

Recommended by

Patrick Smith
Boston USA
(See
here)

Capt Meryl Getline
ex-United Airlines USA
(See
here)

Capt Doug Morris
Canadian Airlines
(See
here)

Capt  Robert J Boser
ex-United Airlines USA
(See
here)

38 Readers' Comments
(See here)

Get an autographed copy here

AMAZON.COM  -  To Order, please Click here 

(eBook) Kindle edition - please Click here

View Book Launch video here

Follow me

@CaptKHLim

Like What You Read?

If you like what you read, more stories are found in my book LIFE IN THE SKIES (Preview here) and you can purchase a copy here. To check for any latest updates or postings, you can follow my Twitter at @CaptKHLim or Facebook here

MH 370 Interviews

Click here to View

10 Most Popular Posts

Disclaimer | Privacy
2004 - 2011 © AskCaptainLim.com | Site Concept by eQuilec.com