PLEASE stop asking about your eyes!!! Read the art

Vomiting on long hau
I have traveled a lot (almost 2 million miles) the

Can you become an ai
Hi captain , I had an accident 15 yrs ago and ha

Does a jet aircraft
Reading through the comments was both entertaining

Does a jet aircraft
So many nonsense here... Earth isn't flat. Period.

What are the cruisin
"how in the hell can you reach JFK if you leave fr

What are the eyesigh
tjsoihsdojfsioufs f post

Paperback Version

For Local Availability - Check Here

Home > Flying the Plane > What is ‘Mcrit’ (critical Mach number) with regards to subsonic flight?
What is ‘Mcrit’ (critical Mach number) with regards to subsonic flight?
Flying - Flying the Plane
Thursday, 24 January 2013 15:55

Sonic Boom

Hi Captain Lim,

Could you please explain to me what is Mcrit? I don't really understand it.

Thank you,

Sharifah

(Note: This answer may be a little too technical for most readers to understand unless you are a flying enthusiast )

Hi Sharifah,

‘Mcrit’ in aerodynamics, is in fact the ‘critical Mach Number’ of an aircraft. It is the lowest Mach number at which the airflow over some point on the aircraft reaches the speed of sound. A Mach number of 1.0 indicates an airspeed equals to the speed of sound in the air.

In flight, the airflow around the aircraft is not exactly the same as the airspeed of the aircraft due to the airflow speeding up and slowing down to travel around the aircraft structure. At the critical Mach number, local airflow in some areas near the airframe reaches the speed of sound even though the aircraft’s speed is still lower than Mach 1.0. This creates a weak shock wave.

As such, a pilot needs to understand that should he allow the plane to approach beyond the Mcrit, he may reach the ‘coffin corner’ – an altitude and speed that may cause the plane to crash.

Since the critical Mach number is the maximum speed at which air can travel over the wings without losing lift due to flow separation and shock waves, any further increase in speed will cause the airplane to lose lift and fall off the sky.

In older planes which have relative thick un-swept wings, they have lower Mcrit and any attempt to allow the plane to fly above the Mcrit, shock waves flowing over the wings may cause control problems.

The actual Mcrit varies from wing to wing. In general, a thicker wing will have a lower critical Mach number because a thicker wing accelerates the airflow to a faster speed than a thinner one.

For instance, the fairly thick wing on the P-38 Lightning has a critical Mach number of about 0.69. The aircraft could occasionally reach this speed in dives, leading to a number of crashes. The much thinner wing on the high speed Spitfire resulted in a critical Mach number of about 0.89 for this aircraft.

Modern subsonic planes such as Airbus and Boeing are designed with super critical wings and therefore have higher maximum operating Mach numbers (MMO) and consequently higher Mcrit – hence less likely to encounter control problems. (Mcrit is normally below the MMO)

For more details on this topic, please see here

PS. To check for any latest updates or postings, you can follow my new Twitter at @CaptKHLim

Supersonic Flight, Sonic Booms

Trackback(0)

TrackBack URI for this entry

Comments (1)

Subscribe to this comment's feed
Great Description!
Well explained! Thank you
Jude , 19 May, 2013

Write comment

smaller | bigger

busy

Paperback Version

For Local Availability - Check Here

Recommended By..

LIFE IN THE SKIES

'A Local Bestseller!'

Recommended by

Patrick Smith
Boston USA
(See
here)

Capt Meryl Getline
ex-United Airlines USA
(See
here)

Capt Doug Morris
Canadian Airlines
(See
here)

Capt  Robert J Boser
ex-United Airlines USA
(See
here)

38 Readers' Comments
(See here)

Get an autographed copy here

AMAZON.COM  -  To Order, please Click here 

(eBook) Kindle edition - please Click here

View Book Launch video here

Follow me

@CaptKHLim

Like What You Read?

If you like what you read, more stories are found in my book LIFE IN THE SKIES (Preview here) and you can purchase a copy here. To check for any latest updates or postings, you can follow my Twitter at @CaptKHLim or Facebook here

MH 370 Interviews

Click here to View

10 Most Popular Posts

Disclaimer | Privacy
2004 - 2011 © AskCaptainLim.com | Site Concept by eQuilec.com