Which flying school
Hi captain, my name is farisyah and next year im h

Are the Airbus A380
Air india pilots salary

How would you compar
I had travel all over the world in so many models

Paperback Version

For Local Availability - Check Here

Home > Flying on the Boeing 777 > What happens when one engine on the Boeing 777 fails during take off?
What happens when one engine on the Boeing 777 fails during take off?
Flying - Flying on the Boeing 777
Wednesday, 12 December 2007 22:14
Hello Capt Lim, I read your comments about flying with one engine. I was on a Newark - Denver on a Boeing 777 yesterday that had the left engine failed during the takeoff roll. We were just getting started, so it was no biggie. But I wonder what might happen if we were past the point of stopping in time? Thanks, Bill

Hi Bill, That was a very good question. All pilots have been trained to recognize at least three important speeds prior to take off, namely V1, VR and V2 .

V1 is the take off decision speed whereby if the take off is continued after an engine failure, it will be possible to continue the take off safely.
It is also the speed whereby, if the Captain abandoned the take off, it will be possible to bring the aircraft to a safe stop within the remaining Runway.

VR is the rotation speed where the Captain begins to rotate the aircraft to lift off attitude and climb away safely.

V2 is the Take Off Safety and Initial Climb Speed to achieve a certain height at a certain distance.

I would not like to bore you with further related technicalities but your question was, what might happen if you were past the point of stopping in time? Well you are then above the V1 Speed (if I interpret your question correctly) and the Captain's decision is to continue the take off without any problem. He has to make a quick decision either to go or no-go. ' Go' means continue after V1 and 'no-go' means abort the take off before V1.

The Captain in the B777 you referred to must have aborted the take-off before V1 and he was very sure he could stop within the remaining Runway. So he would not have the problem of not stopping in time. If he had made a bad decision that would not allow him to stop in time, (depending on the length of the Runway), it would we quite disastrous.

Anyway, the B777 is a very safe and comfortable aircraft to fly as a passenger and all B777 pilots are checked on handling engine failures and aborted take offs every six months.

I hope I have answered your question. Have a safe flight always !

Hi Capt Lim, Thank you for a very interesting answer. So, a Boeing 777 CAN take off safely with only one engine then? Thanks Bill

Hi Bill, Just a small clarification.. You don't plan to take off with one engine.. you only continue to take off with one engine, PROVIDED the aircraft speed has passed V1 (about 145 to 180 mph, depending on weight of aircraft) after an engine failure!

Trackback(0)

TrackBack URI for this entry

Comments (7)

Subscribe to this comment's feed
Another 777 engine failure
I was on an AA flight from Delhi to Chicago in Dec. 2006 and we lost the left engine at V1 as we started to rotate. Flames shot 2ft forward and (as I was told), 30ft backwards from the engine; must have been spectacular from the ground at night. The pilot shut down the left engine, and took the plane up to around 3,000 ft. He dumped about 50,000 lbs of fuel for 11 of the 13 minutes of the flight; the landing on one engine was perfect. The pilot sat in front of me the next night and said that it was just like the flight simulators - I truly wonder how good the 777 engines really are.
Andrew , 06 Mar, 2008
engine study
helo! i jus wanted to know something! what happens when an engine fails during the middle of the flight?! i mean i know its possible to divert and land in the nearby airport! i jus wantd to know how??
swathy shankar , 11 Dec, 2011
Hi
just been for an interview at Cathay. I was asked the question about v1. In the 777 you have an engine failure before V1 what do you do? I answered as you explained above but was told in the 777 you always go as stopping will damage the tyres and brakes. That goes totally against what I understand about V1
Kevin , 06 Mar, 2012
V1 interview question
Good day

I was at an interview the other day and the captain asked me what I would do with an engine failure before V1 in a 777. I said i would stop and he said no you carry on or you will burst the tyres or overheat the brakes. This goes against what I understand about V1.

Was I corect in my answer.

Regards
kevin , 07 Mar, 2012
"I was at an interview the other day and the captain asked me what I would do with an engine failure before V1 in a 777. I said i would stop and he said no you carry on or you will burst the tyres or overheat the brakes. This goes against what I understand about V1."

Safety is priority at any time.

If the speed reaches V1 and you have only few seconds to decide GO or NOT GO. Remaining runway in most airports is long enough when a plane speeds to V1. The various braking systems should function well and are prepared to tackle such incident.

Think of the case you decide to take off with only one engine. Will you take risk to continue your journey? Will this against airline's flight safety regulations? The expected outcome is you need to dump gas and land soon after the take off. It wastes more ......
Mike , 25 Apr, 2012
just realizing
why is it always pre dominate that the left powerplant fails on the 777???,but thats ok because most 2 or 3 hole aircraft are designed to remain airborn on only one,as most of these aircraft are intercontinental which means I really dont want to go in the ocean today because a seagull took up nesting in the inlet, and the current thrust produced by high bypass engines is enough to blow your shorts off at a "SAFE" distance,on only one at a time - redundant systems are a standard ,and disaster is a well studied art in aviation,that is why airmen at all levels train, train, train,so major becomes a series of correct decisions leading to a positive outcome, despite what your emotions try and override in your brain. Flying in itself is not inherently dangerous,but terribly unforgiving of mistake.Since aircrews arrive at the scene of an accident first,they take their duties,actions,and decisions very seriously,and it is mandated by uncle Sam,but yes sometimes humans do human things,like become complacent,and that is the real killer.
R H , 19 Jul, 2012
Could you please answer this question?
Consider you are pilot and you took off Boeing flight G101 from Las Vegas international airport and headed towards New York City. There are 180 Passengers are seating in aircraft. One shocking news is that left engine of the your aircraft has failed after 3 min after performing take off, write your answers with your own understanding with expected actions about the aircraft Engine Control system?
Mayuresh , 19 Mar, 2013

Write comment

smaller | bigger

busy

Paperback Version

For Local Availability - Check Here

Recommended By..

LIFE IN THE SKIES

'A Local Bestseller!'

Recommended by

Patrick Smith
Boston USA
(See
here)

Capt Meryl Getline
ex-United Airlines USA
(See
here)

Capt Doug Morris
Canadian Airlines
(See
here)

Capt  Robert J Boser
ex-United Airlines USA
(See
here)

Get an autographed copy here

AMAZON.COM  -  To Order, please Click here 

(eBook) Kindle edition - please Click here

View Book Launch video here

Follow me

@CaptKHLim

Like What You Read?

If you like what you read, more stories are found in my book LIFE IN THE SKIES (Preview here) and you can purchase a copy here. To check for any latest updates or postings, you can follow my Twitter at @CaptKHLim or Facebook here

MH 370 Interviews

Click here to View

10 Most Popular Posts

30 Previous Posts

Disclaimer | Privacy
2004 - 2011 © AskCaptainLim.com | Site Concept by eQuilec.com