Latest Comment

Vomiting on long hau
I have traveled a lot (almost 2 million miles) the

Can you become an ai
Hi captain , I had an accident 15 yrs ago and ha

Does a jet aircraft
Reading through the comments was both entertaining

Does a jet aircraft
So many nonsense here... Earth isn't flat. Period.

What are the cruisin
"how in the hell can you reach JFK if you leave fr

What are the eyesigh
tjsoihsdojfsioufs f post

What are the procedu
Hello Sir, I am currently B737NG Cpt.TRI /TRE hol

Could an A320 pilot
I plan to do ATR 72 -600 type rating , for that be

Is there less turbul
Flying from San Francisco to Philippines, end of M

What you have to do
Hi Capt . Im a grade 12 student and i really want

Paperback Version

For Local Availability - Check Here

Home > Becoming a Pilot > Would a Cabin Crew position be a stepping stone to becoming a pilot?
Would a Cabin Crew position be a stepping stone to becoming a pilot?
Pilot Career - Becoming a Pilot
Tuesday, 30 November 2010 15:33
Dear Capt Lim,

I'm not sure if you'll be responding to this mail since the last update I see on this site is a good one year ago. I hope you will.

I recently decided, after many years, to break free from my very routine, predictable, and almost destined future. I'm 25, been working for almost 3 years now and a graduate in Computer Science in a Malaysian university. I'm a Project Manager in one of the largest PC manufacturers in the world. It's not a bad job, it's just that I know that's not something I want to do for life.

When I finished my high school I wanted to pursue my studies in aviation. But of course, like a most of us, my family could not afford to send me to a flying school.

I recently browsed several airlines website to see if they are recruiting cadet pilot. Out of the few, it seems like only SIA that is still running a cadet pilot program. I looked through the academic qualifications and physical requirements -- I have both. Although the opportunity is open for Malaysians, only those that are currently residing in Singapore should apply.

I understand the set condition is due to the fact that the interviewing process is very lengthy which requires me to travel to Singapore very often, do you think the HR will entertain my application knowing that I'm currently residing in Malaysia?

Alternatively, I thought I could apply as a cabin crew first. SIA will be having a recruitment drive in Kuala Lumpur early next month (December 2010) and I plan to switch to their cadet pilot program a year or two later.

How do you think this would work out for me? Do you think that they will even recruit me as a cabin crew since my ultimate goal is to be a pilot, not a cabin crew? And what are the chances of an existing cabin crew to be absorbed into their cadet pilot program?

My apologies for my lengthy mail, but I do hope you have time to respond.

Take care, Captain.

Cheers,

Casper

Hi Casper,

I am sorry to say that I am very busy with my full time job. Furthermore I have been doing these, answering repeated questions from pilot wannabes for the last 10 years or so. It is only when I find that bit of spare time, I will only respond to some questions.

Lately, my site is under attack by malicious visitors who inserted badwares into my pages causing Google to block genuine visitors to my site if they are using Mozilla FireFox. Due to my busy schedule, I do not have the resources to sort out the problem yet.

As regards to your question, I would suggest that you apply to SIA as a cadet pilot rather than as a cabin crew since you have all the qualifications. I believe they would take you if you have all the requisites to be a pilot regardless of whether you are a Singapore or Malaysian resident.

Although there are a few cabin crew who eventually became pilots but they are only in the minority. I don’t see if there are any advantages if you have all the qualifications right now than to use the cabin crew route as a stepping stone.

Trackback(0)

TrackBack URI for this entry

Comments (2)

Subscribe to this comment's feed
pilot cadet.
i like this post. exactly what i have in my mind for the past few months.. i never actually dreamed of becoming of a pilot, until one day i went to this interview for cabin crew, conducted by RBA, it was shocking that i was shortlisted among 70+ of us in the interview room. so i got it, went for intensive 3 months training and there was this one time when i was on my check flight and was asked by one of our instructors to sit in jump seat in the flight deck. that was when i realised that it sure is the best thing to steer an aircraft 20-40 hours per week, having the clouds and blue sky as our working table. it was just then i got myself very determined to be a pilot.i only got 6 credits in GCE O level and eventhough i have strong credits in 5 subjects, but my maths was a C and i wasnt taking any pure sciences subjects, but i took Combined Science and got a B and another down spin was that i was in the Art class. so i thought, after finishing my 2 years job contract, i am going to sit for o levels again and target atleast a B for physics. i will then apply for pilot cadet recruitment program in RBA everything goes as planned. so, that's my plan. but everyone knows life isn't easy. im currently a Permanent Resident in Brunei, so first i have to get the local citizenship here in brunei. *sigh. long way to go. but wish me luck.

that's my story Casper.

if you wish to talk, add me up in facebook, Daniel Pyknic. smilies/wink.gif
dee , 06 Jan, 2011
A current pilot who was previously a cabin crew
I use to work as a cabin crew first before I become a Pilot. You can read about my experience at http://flygosh.blogspot.com/20...pilot.html

Regards,
Andy
Andy , 01 Oct, 2011

Write comment

smaller | bigger

busy

Paperback Version

For Local Availability - Check Here

Recommended By..

LIFE IN THE SKIES

'A Local Bestseller!'

Recommended by

Patrick Smith
Boston USA
(See
here)

Capt Meryl Getline
ex-United Airlines USA
(See
here)

Capt Doug Morris
Canadian Airlines
(See
here)

Capt  Robert J Boser
ex-United Airlines USA
(See
here)

38 Readers' Comments
(See here)

Get an autographed copy here

AMAZON.COM  -  To Order, please Click here 

(eBook) Kindle edition - please Click here

View Book Launch video here

Follow me

@CaptKHLim

Like What You Read?

If you like what you read, more stories are found in my book LIFE IN THE SKIES (Preview here) and you can purchase a copy here. To check for any latest updates or postings, you can follow my Twitter at @CaptKHLim or Facebook here

MH 370 Interviews

Click here to View

10 Most Popular Posts

Disclaimer | Privacy
2004 - 2011 © AskCaptainLim.com | Site Concept by eQuilec.com