Latest Comment

Vomiting on long hau
I have traveled a lot (almost 2 million miles) the

Can you become an ai
Hi captain , I had an accident 15 yrs ago and ha

Does a jet aircraft
Reading through the comments was both entertaining

Does a jet aircraft
So many nonsense here... Earth isn't flat. Period.

What are the cruisin
"how in the hell can you reach JFK if you leave fr

What are the eyesigh
tjsoihsdojfsioufs f post

What are the procedu
Hello Sir, I am currently B737NG Cpt.TRI /TRE hol

Could an A320 pilot
I plan to do ATR 72 -600 type rating , for that be

Is there less turbul
Flying from San Francisco to Philippines, end of M

What you have to do
Hi Capt . Im a grade 12 student and i really want

Paperback Version

For Local Availability - Check Here

Home > Becoming a Pilot > May I have your advice to be a pilot? I have been conned!
May I have your advice to be a pilot? I have been conned!
Pilot Career - Becoming a Pilot
Saturday, 28 February 2009 04:04

Hi Capt Lim,

My name is Ijlal Saufi. I am 20 years old. I love to fly and if I have an opportunity, I want to become an aerobatic and red bull air racer pilot.

I have a lot of question regarding my flying career but I do not know where to start. First of all, let me tell you a little about my self. Right now I’m taking my pilot course in Canada. I have my private pilot license and now I’m in the middle of my CPL course.

How do I end up in Canada it a long story. And the shorter version is that I have been conned by a Malaysian who obviously didn’t deserve to be called a Malaysian.

I think you have heard about “The 21st Century”. And now, I really need your advice as you are one of the experienced pilots in Malaysia to let people ask you questions. I thought of going back after I have finished my CPL and complete everything up to frozen ATPL in Malaysia.

Is this a good idea? Should I go to elsewhere other than Malaysia or just stay here until I have finished my course?

How easy is it for me to get a pilot job in Malaysia?

Your suggestion and advice will really help me to decide.

Thank you.

Saufi

Hi Saufi,

I remember warning aspiring pilots about this SCAM in the Forums sometime back. This so-called cadet pilot recruitment scheme have conned many pilot wannabes into believing that it could get them a PPL up to ATPL locally and overseas in just 12 months after parting with a large sum of money. Amongst others, it claimed that only 20 cadetship posts were offered once a year and it would help them to secure a loan and a job with an airline.

Yes, it was a dodgy deal as (I believe) only one unscrupulous individual was involved in the recruitment from his cell phone.

You know that you need to convert your Canadian ATPL to a Malaysian one when you return. That will incur additional expenditure with no guarantee of a job.

With the global downturn in the economy, many airlines in the world are not hiring pilots except Air Asia. See the latest advertisement below. (The STAR February 28 2009 - Page 25. Closing date is 13th March 2009. For more info, please log on to jobs.airasia.com for details)

Since you are committed to your CPL in Canada, I suggest that you complete your course there first and then return home to convert your license to a local one if you intent to work in Malaysia.

Bear in mind that you have to compete with more than 1000 cadet pilots in the local flying schools waiting for the airline job too.

I wish you all the best! alt

alt

Trackback(0)

TrackBack URI for this entry

Comments (4)

Subscribe to this comment's feed
mr
i think the best thing for my buddy here is to try and get a type rating also if he can so he has an advantage when he returns home!how could he fall for this scam.
cole maso , 22 Mar, 2009
cost of converting license in malaysia
Hello Captain Lim,

I plan to do my CPL in Philiphines. My question is how safe is it in philiphines and how much it will cost to convert to malaysian CPL? btw what is ATPL?

Your answer will definitely help me to make my decision. May god bless you for helping so many people in giving advice.

Thank You.

Naseer
nasir , 28 Apr, 2009
Dear Captain Lim,

My Name Is Bryan and very interested to became a pilot. I already finished my SPM and STPM exams,and my SPM result was credit in Bahasa Melayu(4B),English Language(3B), and Math(6C), but only pass for the other science subjects with Physic(D7),Chemistry(8E) and Biology(7D)....My STPM result are C for all 3 subjects which are pengajian am,bahasa melayu and geography. With this result, what is your advise and suggestion for me, as i'm really interested in this career, and i don't know what should i do for this.Hope you can give me some advise for this. I'll look forward to hear from you soon.

Thanks.

Bryan
Bryan , 22 May, 2009
Can i avoid being conned?
Hi, Thanks for sharing. I'd like to know more abt the scam itself. I have another one who is offering a CPL and a PPL within a year and then promises a job for the next year...what shd i be looking for....is it genuine?
Pat , 30 Jun, 2009

Write comment

smaller | bigger

busy

Paperback Version

For Local Availability - Check Here

Recommended By..

LIFE IN THE SKIES

'A Local Bestseller!'

Recommended by

Patrick Smith
Boston USA
(See
here)

Capt Meryl Getline
ex-United Airlines USA
(See
here)

Capt Doug Morris
Canadian Airlines
(See
here)

Capt  Robert J Boser
ex-United Airlines USA
(See
here)

38 Readers' Comments
(See here)

Get an autographed copy here

AMAZON.COM  -  To Order, please Click here 

(eBook) Kindle edition - please Click here

View Book Launch video here

Follow me

@CaptKHLim

Like What You Read?

If you like what you read, more stories are found in my book LIFE IN THE SKIES (Preview here) and you can purchase a copy here. To check for any latest updates or postings, you can follow my Twitter at @CaptKHLim or Facebook here

MH 370 Interviews

Click here to View

10 Most Popular Posts

Disclaimer | Privacy
2004 - 2011 © AskCaptainLim.com | Site Concept by eQuilec.com