PLEASE stop asking about your eyes!!! Read the art

Vomiting on long hau
I have traveled a lot (almost 2 million miles) the

Can you become an ai
Hi captain , I had an accident 15 yrs ago and ha

Does a jet aircraft
Reading through the comments was both entertaining

Does a jet aircraft
So many nonsense here... Earth isn't flat. Period.

What are the cruisin
"how in the hell can you reach JFK if you leave fr

What are the eyesigh
tjsoihsdojfsioufs f post

What are the procedu
Hello Sir, I am currently B737NG Cpt.TRI /TRE hol

Could an A320 pilot
I plan to do ATR 72 -600 type rating , for that be

Is there less turbul
Flying from San Francisco to Philippines, end of M

Paperback Version

For Local Availability - Check Here

Home > Becoming a Pilot > A lawyer wants to be a pilot…
A lawyer wants to be a pilot…
Pilot Career - Becoming a Pilot
Tuesday, 02 December 2008 15:33

Dear Capt Lim, 

I've just completed my pupilage/chambering and will be admitted and enrolled to the Bar as an Advocate and Solicitor soon.

Now, I’m intending to pursue my childhood ambition, that is, to become an airline pilot. I wish to enroll in one of the flight schools in Malaysia in order to obtain my CPL/IR and ATPL. 

What bothers me is that I was an Art Stream student (during SPM) and thus I’ve no comprehensive knowledge regarding Physics (except for the aircraft-related subject, e.g Bernoulli principle, etc). Furthermore, I’ve been leaving Maths and General Science behind for 6-7 years now.  

My question is, would this be an obstacle for me during my training in the flight school later on?

I was thinking of getting a PPL first to find out whether I’m capable to cope with the training requirements (with all sorts of calculations and so on) as well as to adapt to a new life as a cadet pilot. 

The other part of me is saying that I should gamble and go all out to do the CPL/IR and try my best to graduate with flying colors. I'm just afraid that "trying my best" isn't just enough.  

Any advice would be much appreciated.  

Thank You. 

Azlan Shah, 

Hi Azlan,  

In Malaysia, to be a commercial pilot with a CPL/IR or ATPL, the pre-requisites are rather basic. You only need to have a SPM or GCE "O" Level with 5 credits which must include English Language, Mathematics and a Science subject (not necessary Physics).  So with this basic academic qualification, many have made it to become airline pilots.

It doesn't matter if you did your Mathematics or General Science subject 6 or 7 years ago as long as you have the passion and determination to learn something new.  

Those in the Art Stream without the basic pre-requisites will not qualify for the flying training course leading to CPL/IR/ATPL (even if they are qualified lawyers).  

If you wish to sponsor your own flying training, having the basic pre-requisite is not an issue. However, if you want the airline to sponsor your training, then the competition to get in is great as you may have to get through the more stringent aptitude tests first.  

Going for the PPL first to find out if you like flying is fine. To acquire the CPL/IR or ATPL in Malaysia, it will cost around RM200,000.00 - RM215,000.00. That is quite a big investment and you must be confident of success and not just "gamble" over it.  

I have said this many times before and I will say it again. To be a successful airline pilot, you also need to have the aptitude and a right attitude - not just strings of qualifications.  

If it makes you feel any good, I know of a few lawyers/law graduates who are successful airline pilots now.  

Also, please read my previous answer to a doctor in "A stressful doctor wishes to become a pilot..."

Trackback(0)

TrackBack URI for this entry

Comments (7)

Subscribe to this comment's feed
I just want to update my post here.Finally, I've passed the pre-entry test (consisting of Mathematics, English & Physics) as well as the interview, conducted by the Malaysian Flying Academy in Malacca.God-willing,i'll be commencing my pilot training programme in September this year.Thank you. smilies/wink.gif
Azlan Shah , 17 Mar, 2009
congrats azlan. are you going in as a private cadet?
kaelvin , 21 Mar, 2009
congragulations!!!!!!!!!!
smilies/grin.gif. Mate i am really happy for you. Well now i have a role model other than BA CAPT "
Mike Bannister" and CAPT Lim. You. I am in a similar situation i am more arts and maths orientated and i am going in for law aswell, hopefully, i could live the dream aswell.
Hassan , 08 May, 2009
Sorry for the late reply to the comments posted,haven't checked this thread for quite some times.hehehe.Anyway ;

kaelvin : Yes,i'm enrolling as a private cadet.However, my intake has been postponed to 16th November. smilies/grin.gif

hassan : Thank u so much for the supports!Btw, doesn't matter whatever u're doing now, never give up on ur dream to become a commercial pilot.I believe one day ur dream will come true.God-willing. smilies/smiley.gif

p/s
Maybe there's something that can be shared, checkout my blog http://www.flyinglawyer.blogspot.com
smilies/cheesy.gif
Azlan Shah , 04 Nov, 2009
urgent!
captain lim..im 16 years old now.im taking add math and general science can i still be a pilot?or i change my class to taking chemistry and add math which one is better?
Azrul , 26 Mar, 2011
i want to become pilot
hello sir,,i want to become pilot please tell me .what is course for pilot..i passed just +2.
please help me
sandeep , 28 Apr, 2012
Hello Sandeep,

If you want to become a pilot, join Aptis Aviation School or visit www.aptisaviation.com for more info.
Richard C , 24 Jul, 2015

Write comment

smaller | bigger

busy

Paperback Version

For Local Availability - Check Here

Recommended By..

LIFE IN THE SKIES

'A Local Bestseller!'

Recommended by

Patrick Smith
Boston USA
(See
here)

Capt Meryl Getline
ex-United Airlines USA
(See
here)

Capt Doug Morris
Canadian Airlines
(See
here)

Capt  Robert J Boser
ex-United Airlines USA
(See
here)

38 Readers' Comments
(See here)

Get an autographed copy here

AMAZON.COM  -  To Order, please Click here 

(eBook) Kindle edition - please Click here

View Book Launch video here

Follow me

@CaptKHLim

Like What You Read?

If you like what you read, more stories are found in my book LIFE IN THE SKIES (Preview here) and you can purchase a copy here. To check for any latest updates or postings, you can follow my Twitter at @CaptKHLim or Facebook here

MH 370 Interviews

Click here to View

10 Most Popular Posts

Disclaimer | Privacy
2004 - 2011 © AskCaptainLim.com | Site Concept by eQuilec.com