What are the eyesigh
Captain, I am in class 11 in India and want to bec

What are the eyesigh
PLEASE stop asking about your eyes!!! Read the art

Vomiting on long hau
I have traveled a lot (almost 2 million miles) the

Paperback Version

For Local Availability - Check Here

Home > Becoming a Pilot > Would a mild temporary stammer prevent me from becoming a pilot?
Would a mild temporary stammer prevent me from becoming a pilot?
Pilot Career - Becoming a Pilot
Wednesday, 15 October 2008 07:36

Hi Captain Lim,

I am 18 years old. I will be starting University next year and have chosen to study Computer Engineering. Would it be a wise choice to take up the frozen ATPL/ATPL training after the course?

I have a mild temporary stammer and wanted to know if this would prevent me from becoming a pilot.

Thanks

Vipul

Hi Vipul,

Depending on which region you come from, the competition to becoming a pilot is so intense that you just need that edge to get the airline sponsorship. Even though some airlines do not make it mandatory to have one, it would be advisable to take up any Science degrees at the University first - yes Computer Engineering would be fine.

However, if you intent to sponsor yourself for the frozen ATPL course privately, then you can skip University as another option. Once you have graduated with the necessary licenses (frozen ATPL/ME/IR), you can still apply to any national airlines in your own country. So far, the only airlines that take in global cadet pilots are Etihad Airlines and also SIA (they recruit Malaysians and on limited occasions, other pilot aspirants from the Asian Commonwealth countries such as India or Hong Kong).

In my opinion, a mild temporary stammering problem should not prevent you from becoming a pilot unless it really impairs your ability to communicate effectively in time of emergency.

From what I know, a stammer is the involuntary repetition of the first sounds or syllables of words. About 4% of the population is affected by stammering and it affects four times as many men as women. It is also more common in twins and left handed people! Nevertheless, a stammerer is usually a normal, intelligent individual, psychologically well adjusted and not mentally abnormal in any way!

Regarding this issue, according to the FAA medical requirement, it states that, such a pilot applicant should have "no disease or condition of the middle or internal ear, nose, oral cavity, pharynx, or larynx that can interfere with, or may reasonably be expected to interfere with, clear and effective speech communication".

Of course, the best and most qualified person to give you a good evaluation is the AME (Authorized Medical Examiner) of your country.

If it makes you feel any better, one of my first officer who used to have this problem on the Boeing 777 is now a captain on the same aircraft, flying for a Middle Eastern airline.

Trackback(0)

TrackBack URI for this entry

Comments (2)

Subscribe to this comment's feed
this may help
Hi

Its only the incoordination between your mind and the nervous system. Avoid sea food like fish and prawns. Red meat also increases it. If you are in India, try the pills by Kapl called intellact
Buddy , 22 Oct, 2008
I have the same case with Vipul your last statement made me cheer up with our condition. Thanks Captain Lim! God Bless Us All!
Paul , 28 Aug, 2010

Write comment

smaller | bigger

busy

Paperback Version

For Local Availability - Check Here

Recommended By..

LIFE IN THE SKIES

'A Local Bestseller!'

Recommended by

Patrick Smith
Boston USA
(See
here)

Capt Meryl Getline
ex-United Airlines USA
(See
here)

Capt Doug Morris
Canadian Airlines
(See
here)

Capt  Robert J Boser
ex-United Airlines USA
(See
here)

38 Readers' Comments
(See here)

Get an autographed copy here

AMAZON.COM  -  To Order, please Click here 

(eBook) Kindle edition - please Click here

View Book Launch video here

Follow me

@CaptKHLim

Like What You Read?

If you like what you read, more stories are found in my book LIFE IN THE SKIES (Preview here) and you can purchase a copy here. To check for any latest updates or postings, you can follow my Twitter at @CaptKHLim or Facebook here

MH 370 Interviews

Click here to View

10 Most Popular Posts

Disclaimer | Privacy
2004 - 2011 © AskCaptainLim.com | Site Concept by eQuilec.com