PLEASE stop asking about your eyes!!! Read the art

Vomiting on long hau
I have traveled a lot (almost 2 million miles) the

Can you become an ai
Hi captain , I had an accident 15 yrs ago and ha

Does a jet aircraft
Reading through the comments was both entertaining

Does a jet aircraft
So many nonsense here... Earth isn't flat. Period.

What are the cruisin
"how in the hell can you reach JFK if you leave fr

What are the eyesigh
tjsoihsdojfsioufs f post

What are the procedu
Hello Sir, I am currently B737NG Cpt.TRI /TRE hol

Could an A320 pilot
I plan to do ATR 72 -600 type rating , for that be

Is there less turbul
Flying from San Francisco to Philippines, end of M

Paperback Version

For Local Availability - Check Here

Home > Becoming a Pilot > What can an airline pilot do if he is medically grounded?
What can an airline pilot do if he is medically grounded?
Pilot Career - Becoming a Pilot
Monday, 26 May 2008 07:44

Hello Captain Lim,

I have this question that bugs me when I think about my future.

I am thinking... if let's say, I'm now an airline pilot but due to medical reason, I have no choice but to quit my job as a pilot. Say by that time, I would be 40 years old. What can I do?

And let's say, I have a mechanical engineering degree. By the time I am 40 years old, I would definitely not be competitive enough to compete with fresh graduates - hence decreasing my chance to secure a job. Does that mean that I can then do nothing?

In brief, what are the alternatives for pilots who are forced to quit their job due to medical reasons? What are the chances of them getting a new job? (since their working experiences are only limited to the cockpit.)

I really need to know the answer of this question as it has a lot to do with my future.

I would appreciate it if you can enlighten me on this...

Thanks a lot.

Regards,

Yee Shiuan

Hi Yee Shiuan,

Yes, this question is of concern to many aspiring pilots who used to ask similarly in the past, "What would happen if I couldn't fly anymore?"

Well, while pilots cannot always prevent the unexpected, pilots associations or unions (some airlines disallow unions) are aware of this issue and continue to fight for better compensation.

Pilots are highly qualified professionals who have undertaken years of hard work and incurred considerable cost to obtain their flying licenses. So when medical disability threatens their career, they are well protected by the loss of license insurances as part of their employment contract.

The loss of license insurance is specially meant to provide financial help to pilots in preparation for an alternative career if their aviation career is brought to an abrupt end by accident or illness.

A pilot who is grounded will either be paid a lump sum but has the option of claiming monthly disability payment. My previous airline insured me RM$430,000.00 (I believe SIA is more) for the loss of my license but I never lost my license Smile!

That is a good tidy sum to start on a new business or continue with your career as a mechanical engineer at the age of 40! What more do you want? From my experience, the number of pilots who lost their licenses through medical disability is very low and the insurance companies make sure that all avenues in the form of treatment have been exhausted before they pay you the money!

You are lucky because you have your mechanical engineering degree to fall back on notwithstanding your loss years in the form of experiences. However, an experienced grounded pilot who is an instructor is well sought after today. You can read this related FAQ What can an ex-airline pilot do after retirement?  

Hope this clears any concern about your future plan to be an airline pilot...

Trackback(0)

TrackBack URI for this entry

Comments (2)

Subscribe to this comment's feed
pilot
the guy above used a rare case to make it sound like each pilot is rolling in protection. don't believe it quite so easily.
for example,,, why did he say, "his last airline..."?

pilots are often forced to accept jobs that would not do squat.
rob , 26 May, 2010
Na
Hi captain lim,

I needed to know the insurance companies
That SIA, jet star etc use to get the loss of
License cover .

Thanks & appreciate it .
Best, Dev
Dev , 21 Sep, 2011

Write comment

smaller | bigger

busy

Paperback Version

For Local Availability - Check Here

Recommended By..

LIFE IN THE SKIES

'A Local Bestseller!'

Recommended by

Patrick Smith
Boston USA
(See
here)

Capt Meryl Getline
ex-United Airlines USA
(See
here)

Capt Doug Morris
Canadian Airlines
(See
here)

Capt  Robert J Boser
ex-United Airlines USA
(See
here)

38 Readers' Comments
(See here)

Get an autographed copy here

AMAZON.COM  -  To Order, please Click here 

(eBook) Kindle edition - please Click here

View Book Launch video here

Follow me

@CaptKHLim

Like What You Read?

If you like what you read, more stories are found in my book LIFE IN THE SKIES (Preview here) and you can purchase a copy here. To check for any latest updates or postings, you can follow my Twitter at @CaptKHLim or Facebook here

MH 370 Interviews

Click here to View

10 Most Popular Posts

Disclaimer | Privacy
2004 - 2011 © AskCaptainLim.com | Site Concept by eQuilec.com