Which flying school
Hi captain, my name is farisyah and next year im h

Are the Airbus A380
Air india pilots salary

How would you compar
I had travel all over the world in so many models

Paperback Version

For Local Availability - Check Here

Home > Becoming a Pilot > What is the best route to become an airline pilot?
What is the best route to become an airline pilot?
Pilot Career - Becoming a Pilot
Friday, 09 May 2008 08:48

Hello Captain Lim,

I was wondering if you would be able to give me some advice or tips on the best route to become a major airline pilot as you are. I am currently in the U.S. Air Force and I have been a Crew Chief for 8 years now. I never had much of an interest in airplanes until I began working on them. I probably have more knowledge of flying today (on airport operations, navigation, etc.).

I use my Microsoft Flight Simulator to learn a lot about navigation, and also by using my full set of flying charts and aircraft instruments. I currently have only a high school education, but I am about 3 classes away from my associates degree. I would like to take flying lessons but as I am stationed in England (not to mention my newborn baby), it's seemingly impossible right now. Well that's enough about me. Basically I just have these few questions:

1. What education level is required, or preferred, to fly the "big iron"?

2. Do most pilots start out flying small props to gain flying hours, or do some airlines offer a training program to start you out on jetliners?

3. As I am 27 now, does that somewhat hamper me because of my late start?

4. Do you have just any general tips for me to follow to achieve my newfound dream of becoming and airline pilot?

Nash

Hi Nash,

1. To be a pilot, a degree is preferable but not an absolute requirement. It depends on the Airlines. The Cadet Pilot or Airline Sponsorship Program is very competitive and usually the cream is selected. For instance, in one recent advert for sponsorship in UK (they have stopped this program today), there were 40,000 applications for the 100 positions available. However, not all is lost if you do not meet the stringent entry requirements. In your case, are you able to change your trade to become an Air Force pilot to gain some flying experience? Most flying jobs in the military would require a college degree although there are a few exceptions. Your military flying hours are usually recognized in civil aviation.

Once you have accumulated sufficient flying hours in the Air Force, enroll yourself into a Commercial Pilot's License course first. When your term with the Air Force expires, you would most likely be ready to seek employment in the civil sector as a co pilot in a multiengine transport airplane. You will have to work your way from the bottom of the ladder but you will not regret for you will learn a lot on the right hand seat. Most major airlines are unlikely to recruit pilots without any flying experiences. 

2. A good number of pilots start off from the airline's cadet pilot or sponsorship program where they are trained in CAA or FAA approved Colleges or Flying Training Schools. They commence flying with the small single engine props, and when they graduate, they are given further training by the airlines on the jetliners.

3. You may be a bit late to join the airline cadet or sponsorship program at 27 years (most prefer younger candidates) but some airlines may have different age limit for entry into these schemes (getting very rare today).

4. Alternatively, join a Flying Club and get your Private Pilot's License. Gradually, build up your experience to become an Assistant Flying Instructor or get a Certified Flight Instructor Certificate. From there, work your way towards a Commercial Pilot License/Certificate with an Instrument and Multiengine Rating before you would be marketable as an pilot with any airlines. If you work hard enough , you will achieve your dream, though it may take a little longer.

All the best to your dreams!

Trackback(0)

TrackBack URI for this entry

Comments (84)

Subscribe to this comment's feed
hi , Low-rated comment [Show]
WHAT TO DO SO THAT I CAN BE GUARANTEED A PILOT JOB? , Low-rated comment [Show]
What should I do? , Low-rated comment [Show]
what are my chances of getting a job , Low-rated comment [Show]
WHAT SHOULD I DO NEXT , Low-rated comment [Show]
i want to become a PILOT , Low-rated comment [Show]
Become a pilot on a budget
I would say the fist thing to do before anyone starts spending time and money to become a pilot and taking flying lessons is to check if you are medically fit. Otherwise you will be wasting time and money in wane.

The second thing to do is to take a trial lesson to see if you really like that environment and you feel comfortable doing this as a career, i.e. you if you want to become a pilot.

Of course if you are young, then talking to the family will help, and getting their support will be important for your flying career.

Also, try to learn as much as much as possible about flying and aircrafts. Learning to fly is an expensive business unless you are luck enough to be chosen for the air force to be trained as a military pilot or get selected for one of the very few airline sponsorship programs.

So knowing what to expect in becoming a pilot is very important to reduce the flying training costs.

If you want to know
how to become a pilot on a budget the flowing site gives a lot of good tips on reducing the fling training costs.
http://www.becomeapilotonabudget.co.uk
Les , 27 Dec, 2009
about medical certificate , Low-rated comment [Show]
pilot courrse ( CPL ) , Low-rated comment [Show]
what our future as ex-pilot? , Low-rated comment [Show]
pilot course , Low-rated comment [Show]
... , Low-rated comment [Show]
i want to become a pilot , Low-rated comment [Show]
i wantto become a pilot
am now at age of 20 in my last year in high school here in AFRICA-KENYA.what can i do?
elias omar rage , 14 Apr, 2010
BECOME A PILOT , Low-rated comment [Show]
hello capt.lim , Low-rated comment [Show]
i want to become a pilot! , Low-rated comment [Show]
to become a pilot
smilies/kiss.gifi am a student of class x how can i prepare from now?
hemang sahrma , 19 May, 2010
nasim
i want to know what i have to do so as to become a perfect pilot.what are the courses i have to do. what are its its scopes.how much cost willHello Captain Lim,

I was wondering if you would be able to give me some advice or tips on the best route to become a major airline pilot as you are. I am currently in the U.S. Air Force and I have been a Crew Chief for 8 years now. I never had much of an interest in airplanes until I began working on them. I probably have more knowledge of flying today (on airport operations, navigation, etc.).

I use my Microsoft Flight Simulator to learn a lot about navigation, and also by using my full set of flying charts and aircraft instruments. I currently have only a high school education, but I am about 3 classes away from my associates degree. I would like to take flying lessons but as I am stationed in England (not to mention my newborn baby), it's seemingly impossible right now. Well that's enough about me. Basically I just have these few questions:

1. What education level is required, or preferred, to fly the "big iron"?

2. Do most pilots start out flying small props to gain flying hours, or do some airlines offer a training program to start you out on jetliners?

3. As I am 27 now, does that somewhat hamper me because of my late start?

4. Do you have just any general tips for me to follow to achieve my newfound dream of becoming and airline pilot?

Nash

Hi Nash,

1. To be a pilot, a degree is preferable but not an absolute requirement. It depends on the Airlines. The Cadet Pilot or Airline Sponsorship Program is very competitive and usually the cream is selected. For instance, in one recent advert for sponsorship in UK (they have stopped this program today), there were 40,000 applications for the 100 positions available. However, not all is lost if you do not meet the stringent entry requirements. In your case, are you able to change your trade to become an Air Force pilot to gain some flying experience? Most flying jobs in the military would require a college degree although there are a few exceptions. Your military flying hours are usually recognized in civil aviation.

Once you have accumulated sufficient flying hours in the Air Force, enroll yourself into a Commercial Pilot's License course first. When your term with the Air Force expires, you would most likely be ready to seek employment in the civil sector as a co pilot in a multiengine transport airplane. You will have to work your way from the bottom of the ladder but you will not regret for you will learn a lot on the right hand seat. Most major airlines are unlikely to recruit pilots without any flying experiences.

2. A good number of pilots start off from the airline's cadet pilot or sponsorship program where they are trained in CAA or FAA approved Colleges or Flying Training Schools. They commence flying with the small single engine props, and when they graduate, they are given further training by the airlines on the jetliners.

3. You may be a bit late to join the airline cadet or sponsorship program at 27 years (most prefer younger candidates) but some airlines may have different age limit for entry into these schemes (getting very rare today).

4. Alternatively, join a Flying Club and get your Private Pilot's License. Gradually, build up your experience to become an Assistant Flying Instructor or get a Certified Flight Instructor Certificate. From there, work your way towards a Commercial Pilot License/Certificate with an Instrument and Multiengine Rating before you would be marketable as an pilot with any airlines. If you work hard enough , you will achieve your dream, though it may take a little longer
it take.
jawed nasim , 14 Jun, 2010
is becoming a pilot a big problem...? not at all....!!! , Low-rated comment [Show]
pilot?
hi...
i just wondering.. im 30 now.. is it too late to learn to become a pilot? thankz
nin , 30 Jun, 2010
love flying
smilies/kiss.gifi really want to become an comercial pilot where do i start
what should i do after i finish school i am 15 years old now thankyou
naz
naz , 01 Jul, 2010
Is taking both Piloting Courses and PUC good
Dear Capitan,
I am a student of class 10 and my main motive is to be a researcher in various fields. I would like to save time on being educated and study while I am doing work, I mean work related to the particular field I am working for. I would like to become an Astrophysicist but I would also like to become a pilot.I am a pretty, hard worker. My only question is that whether I could do both PUC and Piloting Courses together. So that I could save time.
Yours Sincerely,
Vidhu Catherine Antony.
Vidhu Catherine Antony , 21 Jul, 2010
if u want to comence CPL course with the most suitable academy, for cpl CARVER AVIATION LTD. this is DGCA approved and with 21 self aircraft for flying…in india having more aircraft, for training…….with lower rate….. then contact me,,, JAYESH:9096890304,, SACHIN:9890629516 I ALSO HELP U FOR SCHOLERSHIP……
JAYESH , 08 Aug, 2010
Airline Pilot
Hi, i want to be a pilot now but do we really need physics as qualifications, kuz i don't have any qualifications in .sience
tiesto , 17 Aug, 2010
i want to become a pilot have compleated my ssc what shopuld i do...... .
hi,commander i m rajat and i want to become a commercial pilot please help me what should i do my 11,12 collage or polytechnic.
please help me sir.
rajat dhopte , 24 Aug, 2010
He wants to fly!
Soooo, son has flucked...gcse double science..he got a `c`,if he had taken physics alone it would have been a `b` perhaps an `a`. Tears aside...what does he do...what can I do??? College says no....no way can he do A level physics.....he is actually great with physics..but excuse me..crap at chemistry!
tash0407 , 26 Aug, 2010
i m doing CPL in india with CARVER which aisa's biggest academy for CPL/FLYING , NOW WITH NEW CTLS., GERMAN AIRCRAFT, u can endross with licence................call me, 9096890304, 9890629516
sachin , 27 Aug, 2010
mr
i want to be come an airline pilot in uk.
thank you
Amin , 13 Oct, 2010
How to become a pilot, in simple steps. http://www.squidoo.com/how-to-...line-pilot
Pat S. , 24 Jan, 2011
how to become airline pilot
i'm about to enter high-school and i wanted to become airline pilot and i was wondering what classes should i take to become airline pilot at high-school like maybe some thing like Introduction to Aerospace ?
louis , 10 Feb, 2011
what suitable course to become a pilot???
hello sir..
i really want to be a pilot one day..
but i dont know what course should i take to fulfill my ambition..
and one more question..can a girl become a pilot..and can i be a pilot if i wear a spectacles??
pilot to be , 24 Mar, 2011
MR.
Hai sir,
i am dhruv from sydney australia. i am in year 10 . my aim is to become a commercial pilot. i also have not enough money. what should i do? how do i manage. what subjects should i do after year 10?
DHRUV KOHLI , 01 May, 2011
how
hi sir; i am mohamed from sudan and it's to exspansiv to be a pilot how can i become apilot
smilies/grin.gifsmilies/cry.gifsmilies/shocked.gifsmilies/cool.gifsmilies/tongue.gifsmilies/wink.gif
mohamed usama , 02 Jun, 2011
Dear sir,
I really want to become a pilot and i want to know what's the requirements for a girl to become a pilot and which is the best place to get the best courses of becoming a pilot.For the time being i am a student of 16 yrs old and i am focusing to become a pilot.I also want to know if there are some online courses which i can pursue for now until i have completed my studies in school.
I'll hope that u read this and give me as soon as possible an answer which will help me later on.
Thanks sir
pourvashy , 04 Jun, 2011
dreaming to fly high
i am just 14 and i am a girl. i want to become a pilot. and for it i want to study in India only. so can u suggest the best college for future studies to become a pilot.smilies/kiss.gif
himani , 14 Jul, 2011
wishing to fly high
Dear sir,
I really want to become a pilot and i want to know what's the requirements for a girl to become a pilot and which is the best place to get the best courses of becoming a pilot.For the time being i am a student of 16 yrs old and i am focusing to become a pilot.I also want to know if there are some online courses which i can pursue for now until i have completed my studies in school.
I'll hope that u read this and give me as soon as possible an answer which will help me later on.
himani , 14 Jul, 2011
Future pilot?
I need information and help to become a pilot. my Plans are to go to the famous college in floride emiry riddle thanks
Tyler saidla , 25 Jul, 2011
sir i have just completed my +2...
and i want to become a pilot...so suggest me why i will do...........
ravneet , 15 Aug, 2011
Sir am really tired of reaserching abt this...
sir,
am a +2 science student who completed in 2010,
still now i didnt go for anything bcoz only one dream n one aim thatz piloting..
It was ma ambition when i was 8 years old...
I had gone for many seminars including helicopter training..
But the problem iz every institution is calling me n saying they provide placement or.. They take care abt ma conversions aftr ven i come back.. or doing instructor with multi is a gud hope ...etc..etc.. Am really fed up sir... Coz i dont know wotz the right way to... Sir can u plz tell me which degree is the best for goin as a pilot in future...
And which is the best academy to train but not very expencive coz am from a middle class family...
Am now onwards waiting to hear from you as soon as possible sir..
Plz take care n guide me if any free time captain..

Mob: 09744465424
email: This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it '> This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it

waiting eagerly..smilies/cool.gif
Ramithab , 25 Aug, 2011
i want to be a pilot.
sir,
i want to become pilot. i am just 15. How can i become pilot.
I am eagierly waiting for your message.

Mobile:8870166878

Emailsmilies/shocked.gif This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it
Dilip.V , 07 Sep, 2011
i want to be a pilot.
sir,
I want to become a pilot.
Dilip.V , 07 Sep, 2011
I want to be an Airline Transport pilot. , Low-rated comment [Show]
My dream is to become an Airline Transport Pilot... , Low-rated comment [Show]
Hey I want to become a pilot. I am still in high school in 12th grade. I don't know what college to go to. I live in southern California. I found a college called Cal state university of la. It says it has a good flight program. But I don't know if this is the right step towards becoming a commercial pilot. What are the requirements to be hired for a commercia pilot?. I don't want to go to the military
antuan p. , 03 Oct, 2011
Can I be a pilot after doing BCA????????
Hi Sir/Madam,
i am a student who is studying BCA and is in second year,,,can I choose a option of piloting after dis BCA course...... can i b eligible for pilot course//////
Meenal B. Washilkar , 18 Oct, 2011
I want to become a pilot
hy sir
sir i am doing o/l now my aim is to become a pilot....so please tell me what is the fist step that i should do....after my o/'s ? ? ?

basith , 28 Oct, 2011
Girl Pilot
I am 12 and I have always dreamed of becoming a piolt since I was 5 what is the best way for me to get a job like that when I am older.
Ms Jess , 19 Nov, 2011
Best course for becoming a pilot?
Hi, what would be the best course for becoming a pilot out of highschool, do you need to join the air force or are there other options. I'm 17 and still enrolled in highschool but wondering what would be the best way to becoming one.
Thanks
Drewgen04 , 01 Dec, 2011
Help
Hello I want to be a pilot in future i'm 14 years old and i'm doing my ppl licence in a flying club but then i would like to do my cpl do i have to go to college ?
thanks
David , 05 Dec, 2011
what to do if I want to be a pilot in Indian Air force?
Dear Sir,
I am a 9th class student & aimed Air force as my career. Sir, if you don't mind will you tell the procedure of entering into this great field. Sir,I am mad about my passion.Sir please help me!
Your's obediently
Manvi Mehta
manvi mehta , 02 Jan, 2012
hi
I want to be a pilot and i am a grade 7 student. Do i go to a high school or something else. Please help me .smilies/smiley.gif
Dipanshu Sharma , 02 Jan, 2012
gratitude
respected sir,
i am very much happy to see you responding to the keen ones.
me myself wants to be a pilot, and a very successful one, i m so much into this, i m from India and currently persuaing my BE in aerospace engineering,
Prashant , 14 Jan, 2012
pilot
Hello Sir, will you tell the procedure of entering into this great field.i want to become pilot plz tell me how can i.
sajjad , 27 Jan, 2012
Am i going the right way?
In UK for GCSE (General Certificate Of Secondary Education).I have chosen to study Art and Computing as well as English, maths, triple Science, Geography,German and if i want to become a pilot(commercial) or anything related to aeronautics am i going the right direction,because my friend is (my age) filled his form but he put Physical Education instead of Art.
Kirisun , 02 Feb, 2012
Hello captain,
I m pallavi from siwan bihar in India. In february 2012 i will give me exam. My aim is to be a pilot. and my question is that how to easy way I will became a pilot?......smilies/kiss.gif smilies/kiss.gif
Pallavi gupta , 11 Feb, 2012
gupta
Hello captain! I m belong from siwan bihar in India. Now i will give my 10th exam in feb2012. My aim is to be a PILOT. And my question is, what is the easy way to be a very good Pilot? (If I will become a pilot that im fist pilot from my Bihar).............smilies/kiss.gif smilies/kiss.gif
Pallavi , 11 Feb, 2012
Mr
I am someone who is seeking and want to be a airline transport pilot,I do have Mathematics,Physical Sciences and English Language.That is my dream to be successful pilot.
Vizicelo , 14 Feb, 2012
to pallavi
I am from bihar and me and my sister are both pilots. How do you plan on becoming the first pilot from bihar ? Working on your english is something you should do before entering the aviation community.
Capt. Amit , 16 Feb, 2012
towards my goal, a pilot
sir,
my aim is to be a pilot.but i am so confused that which subject i should concentrate more ? i don't know what subject i should prefer in 11th standard ? sir can you help? now i am 10th standard .
arhitha mohan , 07 Mar, 2012
what to learn
I;m a 13 year old boy and i want to become a commercial pilot in the future.What subjects do i really need to learn to become a commercial pilot.
wentworth , 11 Mar, 2012
Can i Be a pilot?
hello Sir,
i m studying in class 11 and my aim is to become a pilot .....and being a girl can i apply for it..?

Aiushi , 16 Apr, 2012
How to Become a PILOT ???
Hello sir...I have just completed my +2...My ambition is to become a commercial Pilot... I just wanted to know how to become a Pilot...I have asked many persons but they don't have a clear idea about it... so can u please guide to get a clear description about this course...
Raja , 15 May, 2012
to be a pilot
sir i had cleared my xii in 2012 and now what should i do to join pilot school???
haseeb khan , 12 Jun, 2012
how to become a poilat
dear sir
i want to become a succesfull poilot then please help me
Anees , 17 Jun, 2012
helloooo.....how r u....hope u r fine.....i wish t be an pilot can u tell me which corse will be best after scholl is pre engineering is best course for the pilot feild......!!!which course u did after school for getting into pilot feild...............??please tell me i am confuse .....tell me.....smilies/smiley.gif
colin , 11 Jul, 2012
captain sir iwant to be a pilot iam in x class from english medium
sk reyaz , 15 Jul, 2012
i want to be a poilet
dear captain
i want to be a poilot so tell me how can i become a poilot in very less cash please reply me
reyaz , 17 Jul, 2012
I am a pilot and i graduated i took a course in Academy of Aeronautics Canada
I think the program of www.academyofaeronautics.ca is very comprehensive. I had an instructor that trained me and prepared me to the worst weather conditions. I think when you have a one on one flight instructor and you learn in Canada it is a great opportunity to get a well paid job.
Matt , 19 Sep, 2012
i want to be a pilot
Dear caption
i want to become a pilot and today i am studying 10th class and i am from india,indore so what line should i take to become a pilot please guide me........and what cources to be do please i did not know anything about this things.. so please help me....
thank you
Amar , 17 Nov, 2012
I wants to be a airline pilot what i have to do after my 9th class
Please caption lim tell what i have to doAfter my 9th class i really love aircrafts and wants to be a airline pilot please help me also tell me about the physic quality of a pilot
Aayush Sharma , 24 Dec, 2012
Request
Hello....captain !
M a management student n interested to learn how to fly a plane i.e i want to b a pilot plzzzz let me knw d requiremnt or procedure to apply for d aviation course...
Deepika , 04 Jan, 2013
about pilot
if u want to became a pilot ...then u need
1. 10+2 exam with physic , maths , and English having 60% minimum according to DGCA india.
2. for CPL/ATPL/IR
cost is about 32 lakes indian rupees . plus
for TYPE RATING (in Boeing 737 or Airbus a320)
cost is about 30000 us dollar minimum.
3. u have to be medically fit ..need class 1 or class 2 medical certificate from DGCA approved dr's.
4. eye certificate having 6/6 .
raxxit , 04 Mar, 2013
request....
sir....iam
studying in 10th....i want to become a pilot.....so would you pls tell
...me the steps.......including which subject i had to take in
+1.....plsss sir..????
sreejith , 30 May, 2013
Is 33 too late to become a major airline pilot ?
I am 33 and I would like to become a major airline pilot. Do you think it is too late ?
Chris , 17 Jun, 2013
HOw do i move on
Captain
I have done my 10+2 from india With Phy Chem Biology. How can i pursue this aviation feild.. Specially Commercial piloting ?
Aditi Kashyap , 21 Jul, 2013
I want to become a pilot but is it too late?
Hi Captain Lim,

I'm 32 yrs old and i would like to become an airline pilot but i don't really know if i have the requierements for it. Here's a list of my andicaps:

1. Eye vision is -1.25 and -1.5(I wear glasses)
2. i quit smoking 3 yrs ago.
3. I don't have physics but maths at GCE levels.
4. I have a diploma in IT.

I would like to know if successful upon all these above, i would able to take the course and i was hoping for emirates aviation school which is around $140,000 for the whole course.
I would also like to know if after the course, how will i manage to get the hours to be able to apply for first officer ot what are the steps?

Cheers
Kevin
Kevin Payen , 01 Aug, 2013
As I'm 15 yrs old i want to become pilot in future.
i want to say that its my childhood dream to become a pilot what subjects do i concentrate on and what qualification i have to dohow will i manage to get the hours to be able to apply for first officer ot what are the steps?

Anu
hi Captain Lim , 03 Dec, 2013
Guidance for Career in Air lines Pilot
Sir,
I had completed my 10th Standard and after that i completed Diploma in Mechanical Engineering without attempting 12th standard. I had Degree in (B.E.) Mechanical Engineering. So please, guide me that how can i join Airline Pilot and what are the Qualifications required.
Please Guide me.
Rohit Pandey , 14 Feb, 2014
how much work i had to do to be a pilot
sir,I want to tell you that i am studying in class 10 and i will take PCM in 11 class could you please guide me that may help me in future . please reply me sir .
yours truly
Ayush Verma
class10
ayush , 28 Jun, 2014
help sir
help me sir it is my dream to be a pilot from 6 class i am studying in class 10 guide me
ayush , 28 Jun, 2014
commercial pilot
sir i am b.tech pass out studentand want to become a pilot in airlines please tell me best way
please
rahul , 21 Jul, 2014
plz help sir
sir i m 2nd puc commerce completed. next which course join me any airline course
suhasini , 09 Aug, 2014

Write comment

smaller | bigger

busy

Paperback Version

For Local Availability - Check Here

Recommended By..

LIFE IN THE SKIES

'A Local Bestseller!'

Recommended by

Patrick Smith
Boston USA
(See
here)

Capt Meryl Getline
ex-United Airlines USA
(See
here)

Capt Doug Morris
Canadian Airlines
(See
here)

Capt  Robert J Boser
ex-United Airlines USA
(See
here)

Get an autographed copy here

AMAZON.COM  -  To Order, please Click here 

(eBook) Kindle edition - please Click here

View Book Launch video here

Follow me

@CaptKHLim

Like What You Read?

If you like what you read, more stories are found in my book LIFE IN THE SKIES (Preview here) and you can purchase a copy here. To check for any latest updates or postings, you can follow my Twitter at @CaptKHLim or Facebook here

MH 370 Interviews

Click here to View

10 Most Popular Posts

30 Previous Posts

Disclaimer | Privacy
2004 - 2011 © AskCaptainLim.com | Site Concept by eQuilec.com