PLEASE stop asking about your eyes!!! Read the art

Vomiting on long hau
I have traveled a lot (almost 2 million miles) the

Can you become an ai
Hi captain , I had an accident 15 yrs ago and ha

Does a jet aircraft
Reading through the comments was both entertaining

Does a jet aircraft
So many nonsense here... Earth isn't flat. Period.

What are the cruisin
"how in the hell can you reach JFK if you leave fr

What are the eyesigh
tjsoihsdojfsioufs f post

What are the procedu
Hello Sir, I am currently B737NG Cpt.TRI /TRE hol

Could an A320 pilot
I plan to do ATR 72 -600 type rating , for that be

Paperback Version

For Local Availability - Check Here

Home > Becoming a Pilot > What is going on with the airline industry for pilots?
What is going on with the airline industry for pilots?
Pilot Career - Becoming a Pilot
Sunday, 04 May 2008 10:23

Hi Capt Lim,

Hi Simer,

I have answered a similar question in "What is the future of the airline industry for pilots?". There, you can see the Boeing projection for pilot demand in the Australian region up to the year 2025.

Australia is a fairly saturated market for pilots. There are more pilots there than there are vacancies in the good airlines - one of which is Qantas. So trying to get a job in Qantas is extremely tough. Hence many Australian pilots have left the country for better advancement in Asia and the Middle East. They have a better chance of flying the Airbus A380s if they join, for instance, the Emirates Airlines than staying back in one of the regional airlines in Australia.

Those who don't get a good position or opportunity for career advancement are probably most of those not from the major airlines. Getting a good position in Qantas is very competitive. Qantas mainline pilots are well trained and their salaries are reasonable. Once inside, few pilots would leave the airline. However, the low salary you mentioned is probably the pay for first officers with the regional QantasLink that flies the turbo-prop Dash 8 aircraft. This airline is comprised of three different regional airlines - Airlink, Eastern Australia Airlines and Sunstate Airlines.

If you are an Indian citizen, you may even have problems getting a flying job in Australia. Yes, you can get good flying training there but your prospect of flying, say a Boeing 777 with an Indian carrier, (Kingfisher Airlines) is so much better in India than in Australia.

Whether you would need to fly for 10 years on a small plane before getting to fly the big jets would depend on which airlines you are employed with. Flying opportunities and promotions are cyclical. In bad times it may take even longer. At the moment, the airlines industries in the Middle East are booming. Well, that is the place to go if you have the experience and the qualification!

All the best to your flying dreams!

Australia's Pilot Shortage

Trackback(0)

TrackBack URI for this entry

Comments (2)

Subscribe to this comment's feed
When the industry does improve after the recession, do you think pilot salaries will improve as well. I've heard a lot about how they have been steadily decreasing over the last couple years and wanted to know if/when you think that wouold happen.
Justin , 05 Mar, 2009
what we should do after we are graduated from flying school?
Hello Capt Lim

1. I want to ask you how about the marketing for the airlines pilots career nowadays since it is hard to get the job because of the excessive pilots in the airlines???

2. Is it the career for airlines pilot will be opened back after they closed for a long time?

3. How the cadet pilot nowadays want to get the job if the intaking the airlines pilot never opened?

I appreciate for your response, sir.
thank you, sir.
adin , 15 Aug, 2010

Write comment

smaller | bigger

busy

Paperback Version

For Local Availability - Check Here

Recommended By..

LIFE IN THE SKIES

'A Local Bestseller!'

Recommended by

Patrick Smith
Boston USA
(See
here)

Capt Meryl Getline
ex-United Airlines USA
(See
here)

Capt Doug Morris
Canadian Airlines
(See
here)

Capt  Robert J Boser
ex-United Airlines USA
(See
here)

38 Readers' Comments
(See here)

Get an autographed copy here

AMAZON.COM  -  To Order, please Click here 

(eBook) Kindle edition - please Click here

View Book Launch video here

Follow me

@CaptKHLim

Like What You Read?

If you like what you read, more stories are found in my book LIFE IN THE SKIES (Preview here) and you can purchase a copy here. To check for any latest updates or postings, you can follow my Twitter at @CaptKHLim or Facebook here

MH 370 Interviews

Click here to View

10 Most Popular Posts

Disclaimer | Privacy
2004 - 2011 © AskCaptainLim.com | Site Concept by eQuilec.com