Latest Comment

Vomiting on long hau
I have traveled a lot (almost 2 million miles) the

Can you become an ai
Hi captain , I had an accident 15 yrs ago and ha

Does a jet aircraft
Reading through the comments was both entertaining

Does a jet aircraft
So many nonsense here... Earth isn't flat. Period.

What are the cruisin
"how in the hell can you reach JFK if you leave fr

What are the eyesigh
tjsoihsdojfsioufs f post

What are the procedu
Hello Sir, I am currently B737NG Cpt.TRI /TRE hol

Could an A320 pilot
I plan to do ATR 72 -600 type rating , for that be

Is there less turbul
Flying from San Francisco to Philippines, end of M

What you have to do
Hi Capt . Im a grade 12 student and i really want

Paperback Version

For Local Availability - Check Here

Home > Becoming a Pilot > Please help me to choose the right flying school...
Please help me to choose the right flying school...
Pilot Career - Becoming a Pilot
Wednesday, 19 March 2008 12:51

Dear Captain Lim,

I have always aspired to become a pilot ever since I was young. I have just completed High School in Malaysia with distinction in English and Maths and B's in other Science subjects. I want to enroll in a flying school to realize my dream of becoming a commercial airline pilot.

The dilemma that I am currently facing is choosing the right flying school.

Right now I have two choices:

1. Apply to Flight Training Adelaide, a flying school in Australia.

or

2. Apply to a flying school in Malaysia.

I recently called up DCA (Department of Civil Aviation of Malaysia) to inquire whether I would be able to fly for an airline in Malaysia if I enrolled in the flying school in Australia. The answer was NO, as the DCA does not recognize the license.

On the other hand, if I applied to the Australian flying school and obtained the CPL, would I be able to fly for an Australian airline as I understand that graduates from the airline academies in Australia would stand a better chance.

The fees of both the Adelaide flying school and the Malaysian flying school's are roughly similar. Besides that I also have a sister studying in Adelaide which is why I want to apply for a flying school there.

So my only concern now is choosing the right flying school. Please assist me on this matter Captain Lim. Thanks in advance.

By the way, great website!!!

Dear Justin,

Your chances of being employed as a pilot in Malaysia or Singapore are better if you do your flying training in Malaysia. There are three flying schools in Malaysia (I rank them in that order) to choose from:

1. HM Aerospace in Langkawi. Their training aircraft are equipped with glass cockpit. Website: http://www.hmaerospace.com
  2. Air Pacific Flight Training - Most of their Flight Instructors are previously from Malaysia Flight Academy in Malacca. Website: http://www.asiapacificflighttraining.com
  3. Malaysia Flying Academy - Has backlog of students and insufficient training aircraft. Website: http://www.mfa.edu.my 

The licenses from the above institutions are recognized in Malaysia and getting a flying job will not be as difficult as compared to if you were trained in Australia - especially in Flight Training Adelaide - Website: http://www.flighttrainingadelaide.com/

Remember, if you were trained overseas, you will still need to spend some more money converting your foreign license to a local one. You must log something like another 10 hours on single engine and 30 hours on twin engine planes - not forgetting that you have to sit for some additional exams - Air Laws, type technical, etc.

For more details - please visit the Flight Crew Licensing Office, Level 2, Block Podium B, Lot 4G4, Precinct 4, Federal Government Administration Centre, 62570 Putrajaya, Malaysia. Tel: 603-88714000 or email This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it

You should ideally make an appointment to see the Licensing Officer personally in order to get a better picture of the requirements than just making a phone call.

As you are not a citizen of Australia, you are unlikely to be employed there even after you have graduated from Flight Training Adelaide (FTA). Yes, FTA is a good flight school as many airlines send their cadets there for training. Unless you are sponsored by the airlines, it would be better for you to do the training locally.

All the best to your future dreams!

Becoming An Airline Pilot

Trackback(0)

TrackBack URI for this entry

Comments (5)

Subscribe to this comment's feed
RE: choosing the right flying school
Hi sir,
I find that your website is very encouraging for all the others inspired pilots out there. And I am an inspired Singaporean pilot debating if I should get my license in either Malaysia or Australia. I would like to ask why do you say that “Your chances of being employed as a pilot in Malaysia or Singapore are better if you do your flying training in Malaysia.”
Flora , 04 Apr, 2008
Choosing the best airlines
Hello captain. Proud have a captain like you who would like to spend time answering all the questions all the information about the pilot. I have completed my flight training in Asia Pacific. Can a Malaysia citizen become a pilot outside the country? for example, Brunei, Singapore and Canada. I'm very interested to know this information before I choose which airlines have in malaysia. thank you.
Izani , 22 Mar, 2010
How Pilot Training Schools are Helpful
There are various pilot training schools which organize various training programs. In these programs they provide all useful information and effective training programs which are helpful to choose right option for their students. These programs are helpful to become successful pilot.

http://www.commercialpilottraining.net/ProfessionalPilotPrograms/Flight-Schools/index.htm
Pilot Training , 20 May, 2010
Want to become a pilot in life
Dear Sir.

My name is Gabriel and i am from Edo State in Nigeria?
I am the Last bone of my parent since when i was young i have trying to locate a pilot school but i have not being able to. i done just no what to do to get into the school i really love to become a pilot.
I really want you to help advise me either i should study in Nigeria or Abroad. please i need your quick response.
Ebhota Ehekioya Gabriel , 16 Jan, 2011
career guidance
sir,
i'am studying in class 12th in CBSE school India.I'am a member of a middle class family and want a career as a pilot please guide me on how to pursue for it at a affordable way.
shubhankar das , 14 Jan, 2015

Write comment

smaller | bigger

busy

Paperback Version

For Local Availability - Check Here

Recommended By..

LIFE IN THE SKIES

'A Local Bestseller!'

Recommended by

Patrick Smith
Boston USA
(See
here)

Capt Meryl Getline
ex-United Airlines USA
(See
here)

Capt Doug Morris
Canadian Airlines
(See
here)

Capt  Robert J Boser
ex-United Airlines USA
(See
here)

38 Readers' Comments
(See here)

Get an autographed copy here

AMAZON.COM  -  To Order, please Click here 

(eBook) Kindle edition - please Click here

View Book Launch video here

Follow me

@CaptKHLim

Like What You Read?

If you like what you read, more stories are found in my book LIFE IN THE SKIES (Preview here) and you can purchase a copy here. To check for any latest updates or postings, you can follow my Twitter at @CaptKHLim or Facebook here

MH 370 Interviews

Click here to View

10 Most Popular Posts

Disclaimer | Privacy
2004 - 2011 © AskCaptainLim.com | Site Concept by eQuilec.com