PLEASE stop asking about your eyes!!! Read the art

Vomiting on long hau
I have traveled a lot (almost 2 million miles) the

Can you become an ai
Hi captain , I had an accident 15 yrs ago and ha

Does a jet aircraft
Reading through the comments was both entertaining

Does a jet aircraft
So many nonsense here... Earth isn't flat. Period.

What are the cruisin
"how in the hell can you reach JFK if you leave fr

What are the eyesigh
tjsoihsdojfsioufs f post

What are the procedu
Hello Sir, I am currently B737NG Cpt.TRI /TRE hol

Could an A320 pilot
I plan to do ATR 72 -600 type rating , for that be

Paperback Version

For Local Availability - Check Here

Home > Becoming a Pilot > From a grateful pilot trainee to other aspiring pilots.
From a grateful pilot trainee to other aspiring pilots.
Pilot Career - Becoming a Pilot
Friday, 18 November 2005 00:09

Hi Captain Lim!

Here*s my account of the Learjet 45 training for the benefit of other aspiring pilots!

When a cadet returns from Jandakot Flight Centre at Perth with his CPL/IR qualification, he will then undergo ground school training for about 3 weeks on the Learjet 45. It*s a CBT (Computer Based Training) course and once that is completed, the cadet will start to learn about the Performance of the aircraft and how to use the charts and tables related to it. Safety and Evacuation Procedures will also be learnt at this stage where he*ll learn how to use different equipment such as first aid, fire-fighting and portable oxygen bottles. Ditching and raft usage will also be taught at the indoor pool where cadets will learn how to board the Learjet 45 life raft and such.

After that phase, off he goes to the Sunshine Coast in Brisbane, Australia! Once there, the cadet will be living at an accommodation located near the Sunshine Coast Airport at Maroochydore. Simulator sessions will then begin and would take about a month with 2 Cockpit Procedure Training sessions and 9 Full Flight Simulator sessions. Cadets will rotate at the Left Hand Seat (LHS) and the Right Hand Seat (RHS) per 2-hour session, with the Pilot Flying (PF) usually at the LHS. All sorts of emergencies and procedures will be taught once proficiency in basic flying skills and approaches are attained for flying the Learjet 45. The Base Check is conducted at the end of it all and once the cadet passes his check, he*ll start to fly! That is the start of living the dream of every pilot!

The cadet will first start off with 2 rounds of circuits that will be conducted at Rockhampton Airport. The burst of adrenaline that runs through the body when flying a jet aircraft for the first time in the right hand seat will be totally unforgettable! Getting into the seat and strapping up, then taxiing to line up at the runway will always be remembered. Once full thrust is applied for take off, another milestone in the cadet*s life will be marked in his logbook! Circuit training, once completed, will allow the cadet*s CPL/IR to be endorsed with the Learjet 45 qualification. Line training then begins.

Line training consists of flying from point to point along airways with an average of 3 sectors per cadet per flight. There are morning sorties and afternoon sorties. The afternoon sorties will take the cadet flying back to the Sunshine Coast at night. Out of the 3 sectors, 1 sector may be a Pilot Not Flying (PNF) sector. Cadets need to clock up an average of about 25 PF and 5 PNF sectors up to their line check. This whole period will take an average of 3-4 weeks of flying. The cadets will report for flight planning and after a briefing, prepare the aircraft for flight.

Flights consist of quick turnarounds and refueling along a few fixed routes to places like Rockhampton, Mackay and Townsville (and back); Coffs Harbour, Brisbane and Canberra (in any combination with the former 3 airports) etc. Simply said, the cadet will experience flying along the east coast of Australia where the view is simply fantastic! Flying is done at Flight Levels and is so different from Jandakot where the highest the cadet may actually fly to is 9,000 feet. After every 3 sectors, the Instructor Captain and usually 2 cadets will take a break at the airport caf? while the aircraft is being refueled and thereafter, carry on back to home base.

There are also 2 Pre LOFT (Line Orientation Flight Training) simulator sessions before line flights begin where cadets are given introductory lessons in line flying with the instructor on the RHS and 3 Mid LOFT simulator sessions where the cadets will learn how to handle unforeseen circumstances while flying by themselves, one in the RHS and the other in the LHS. The Instructor Captain will then give a briefing at the end of the session to discuss the session and provide tips and guidance to the cadets.

After all Checks are done, the cadet will then return to Singapore where he*ll be assigned to his fleet! And that is where the cadet will have to start working hard again and learn well before he begins his career flying the friendly skies with Singapore Airlines.

Good luck to all aspiring pilots!

A Grateful Pilot

Trackback(0)

TrackBack URI for this entry

Comments (0)

Subscribe to this comment's feed

Write comment

smaller | bigger

busy

Paperback Version

For Local Availability - Check Here

Recommended By..

LIFE IN THE SKIES

'A Local Bestseller!'

Recommended by

Patrick Smith
Boston USA
(See
here)

Capt Meryl Getline
ex-United Airlines USA
(See
here)

Capt Doug Morris
Canadian Airlines
(See
here)

Capt  Robert J Boser
ex-United Airlines USA
(See
here)

38 Readers' Comments
(See here)

Get an autographed copy here

AMAZON.COM  -  To Order, please Click here 

(eBook) Kindle edition - please Click here

View Book Launch video here

Follow me

@CaptKHLim

Like What You Read?

If you like what you read, more stories are found in my book LIFE IN THE SKIES (Preview here) and you can purchase a copy here. To check for any latest updates or postings, you can follow my Twitter at @CaptKHLim or Facebook here

MH 370 Interviews

Click here to View

10 Most Popular Posts

Disclaimer | Privacy
2004 - 2011 © AskCaptainLim.com | Site Concept by eQuilec.com