What happens if I ge
I have seen a comment from a Flight attendant that

What are the eyesigh
Captain, I am in class 11 in India and want to bec

What are the eyesigh
PLEASE stop asking about your eyes!!! Read the art

Paperback Version

For Local Availability - Check Here

Home > Becoming a Pilot > Many fearful questions from an aspiring pilot.
Many fearful questions from an aspiring pilot.
Pilot Career - Becoming a Pilot
Wednesday, 02 January 2008 20:23

Dear Sir,

Are people who enroll into a flying training school for the first time get into an aircraft with an instructor? Do you think they would be scared and nervous? What feelings did you have? Do they think that they are going to die? If they are scared, do they get used to it? Are pilots fearless and brave people? What would pilots be thinking about in an emergency situation - stress, fear or are they fearless?

I have this nervousness in myself. Would a person get over this after they have commenced their flying training?

Thank you for reading this. Your response will be very important to me because I am in High School and thinking about becoming a pilot.

Thank you,

John Bailey

Hi John,

If you have gone through my Site and read all those topics on 'Fear of Flying' and 'Safety', you would have gained a better knowledge and become more confident about flying. Why should you be scared? Are you scared of learning how to drive? Do you know that, it is safer to fly than to drive? Of course, most of the statistics quoted in my site are related to commercial airliners and the safety statistics for general aviation aircraft would be different. Nevertheless, a mechanic or engineer would still check and certify every airplane before it is allowed to fly. This is never a requirement when you drive your car. This is just an example as to how stringent the rules are, regarding the maintenance of airplanes.

Sure, you would be slightly tensed before your first flight but your instructor would explain and ensure that you would enjoy your first flight with him. That was how I felt. You would never be left off alone to fly the airplane until your instructor is very sure you are competent to do so.

I was sure I was not going to die for if I did, I would not have become a pilot. Pilots are human beings, just like you and me. We are not fearless but we develop courage and overcome our fears as we get to know more about flying. A pilot is trained to cope with all emergencies and should one ever develop, he would not have the time to be nervous except to carry out the drills as he was taught.

Don't worry, you would overcome all your nervousness and fear as you gain more knowledge and skills in handling the airplane! Meanwhile, read up as much as you can about flying.

Trackback(0)

TrackBack URI for this entry

Comments (0)

Subscribe to this comment's feed

Write comment

smaller | bigger

busy

Paperback Version

For Local Availability - Check Here

Recommended By..

LIFE IN THE SKIES

'A Local Bestseller!'

Recommended by

Patrick Smith
Boston USA
(See
here)

Capt Meryl Getline
ex-United Airlines USA
(See
here)

Capt Doug Morris
Canadian Airlines
(See
here)

Capt  Robert J Boser
ex-United Airlines USA
(See
here)

38 Readers' Comments
(See here)

Get an autographed copy here

AMAZON.COM  -  To Order, please Click here 

(eBook) Kindle edition - please Click here

View Book Launch video here

Follow me

@CaptKHLim

Like What You Read?

If you like what you read, more stories are found in my book LIFE IN THE SKIES (Preview here) and you can purchase a copy here. To check for any latest updates or postings, you can follow my Twitter at @CaptKHLim or Facebook here

MH 370 Interviews

Click here to View

10 Most Popular Posts

Disclaimer | Privacy
2004 - 2011 © AskCaptainLim.com | Site Concept by eQuilec.com