PLEASE stop asking about your eyes!!! Read the art

Vomiting on long hau
I have traveled a lot (almost 2 million miles) the

Can you become an ai
Hi captain , I had an accident 15 yrs ago and ha

Does a jet aircraft
Reading through the comments was both entertaining

Does a jet aircraft
So many nonsense here... Earth isn't flat. Period.

What are the cruisin
"how in the hell can you reach JFK if you leave fr

What are the eyesigh
tjsoihsdojfsioufs f post

What are the procedu
Hello Sir, I am currently B737NG Cpt.TRI /TRE hol

Could an A320 pilot
I plan to do ATR 72 -600 type rating , for that be

Paperback Version

For Local Availability - Check Here

Home > Becoming a Pilot > What are my flying options if I am not interested in airlines flying?
What are my flying options if I am not interested in airlines flying?
Pilot Career - Becoming a Pilot
Wednesday, 02 January 2008 19:52

Hello Capt Lim,

Your site is phenomenal! LOADS of information put in a nice and friendly way!

I am a 24 year-old male from Serbia with a high school degree. I have also studied photography for 3 years in the academy of fine arts but did not graduate. I worked in many magazines as a photographer. As you can see, I am not pilot-related in any (professional) way. I always liked flying in the planes, but that was all. However, during my last flight, I talked to a flight engineer almost the entire trip. He explained to me many things; how a plane works, what's his job like, about the wing flaps, etc. Then I got the opportunity to fly (and photograph) on a "glider". Actually it was a boat with wings and motor. Truly extraordinary. I was stunned! Then I bought the MS Flight simulator 2004. Now I'm serious in becoming a professional pilot! However, there are many things I need to know about flying before I make any decision. So I would like to ask you a couple of questions:

Firstly, am I competent to become a pilot at all because of my age and education that wasn't related in airplanes in any way? However, I consider myself as a tech guy and so far I've had a great success on driving boats, cars, cycles (I'm not an anti-talent in driving :)

I am not interested in the normal "airline aviation" flying . Like you said, you are almost always away from home, family, friends... That's why I thought about in-country ferry or delivery, agricultural applications, tourist sightseeing, etc. What do you think about that?
Money is not important to me as my personal/family life is (I expect to earn & work less than an airline pilot). I also like low-level flying more.

Does my theory makes any sense or is it just a theory? If not, please suggest and give me your opinion.

Suppose I got a commercial certificate on a single engine aircraft. Does that mean I can fly (with further training) on any of the above mentioned planes (agricultural, tourist, etc.) with a single engine? Training on a multi-engine (and jet) is much more expensive
and I consider that unnecessary as I will not spray mosquitoes in a jet. Just kidding, but what do you think? Is there's some better option in my case that is more cost-effective? Please tell me.

Is it a myth that pilots are prone to heart attack/problems when they get older?

Thanks!!!

Ivan

Hi Ivan,

You are not too old at 24 to start a flying career. Although your education is not related to flying, and being a 'tech guy', you should not have any problem learning the basic of aerodynamics. I do not know the requirements in Serbia for one to get a flying license, but I don't think it would vary much with other countries.

If you do not aspire to be an airline pilot, there are many other types of professional flying that you can pursue. Since you like low-level flying, banner towing or crop dusting is an option. I would like to caution you that crop dusting or agricultural spraying has a higher risk factor than any other form of flying. So do not be mistaken when I so often quote about how safe flying is. What I meant is flying in major commercial airlines (not in-flight ferry or delivery, agricultural spraying, tourist sightseeing, etc) is many times safer than driving!

Normally, to get a commercial certificate or license, you would have to progress from a single engine to a twin engine plane or a multi-engine rating. As I have said, different countries may have special regulations to operate the flying jobs you have in mind, but those that you mentioned can be done on a single engine without any problems. So you don't need to be trained in a multi engine plane or jets at all.

It is not true that pilots are more prone to heart attacks. Anyone who does not take care of his health will suffer this disease. However, there are cases of pilots dying of heart attacks during flights. It becomes news because the co-pilot became the 'hero' and landed the airplane single handedly! Well, the airline industry recognizes this problem and all copilots are trained to land from the right hand side as part of his job.

Trackback(0)

TrackBack URI for this entry

Comments (2)

Subscribe to this comment's feed
Cow
smilies/shocked.gif MOO smilies/shocked.gif
Moo , 22 Feb, 2010
hi captain...
captain.....i heard than MAS just open their intake for dis year(2010)...i am a PPL holder....so captain i hope u can guide me to this intake....this is my e-mail add...d18_hop@hotmail.com
kavithen balakrishnan , 05 Apr, 2010

Write comment

smaller | bigger

busy

Paperback Version

For Local Availability - Check Here

Recommended By..

LIFE IN THE SKIES

'A Local Bestseller!'

Recommended by

Patrick Smith
Boston USA
(See
here)

Capt Meryl Getline
ex-United Airlines USA
(See
here)

Capt Doug Morris
Canadian Airlines
(See
here)

Capt  Robert J Boser
ex-United Airlines USA
(See
here)

38 Readers' Comments
(See here)

Get an autographed copy here

AMAZON.COM  -  To Order, please Click here 

(eBook) Kindle edition - please Click here

View Book Launch video here

Follow me

@CaptKHLim

Like What You Read?

If you like what you read, more stories are found in my book LIFE IN THE SKIES (Preview here) and you can purchase a copy here. To check for any latest updates or postings, you can follow my Twitter at @CaptKHLim or Facebook here

MH 370 Interviews

Click here to View

10 Most Popular Posts

Disclaimer | Privacy
2004 - 2011 © AskCaptainLim.com | Site Concept by eQuilec.com