Latest Comment

Vomiting on long hau
I have traveled a lot (almost 2 million miles) the

Can you become an ai
Hi captain , I had an accident 15 yrs ago and ha

Does a jet aircraft
Reading through the comments was both entertaining

Does a jet aircraft
So many nonsense here... Earth isn't flat. Period.

What are the cruisin
"how in the hell can you reach JFK if you leave fr

What are the eyesigh
tjsoihsdojfsioufs f post

What are the procedu
Hello Sir, I am currently B737NG Cpt.TRI /TRE hol

Could an A320 pilot
I plan to do ATR 72 -600 type rating , for that be

Is there less turbul
Flying from San Francisco to Philippines, end of M

What you have to do
Hi Capt . Im a grade 12 student and i really want

Paperback Version

For Local Availability - Check Here

Home > Becoming a Pilot > Should I become a Flight Attendant or should I be a pilot?
Should I become a Flight Attendant or should I be a pilot?
Pilot Career - Becoming a Pilot
Sunday, 16 December 2007 19:14

Dear Captain,

I have read through your web site. It is full of great information that has helped many people out there. It was very kind of you to answer all those questions posted. I am currently in my final year of studies as an chemical engineering student. I am very confused as to whether to become a pilot or stewardess as my career. Its partly because I am not very sure about being a flight stewardess as a long term career.

I am eager to know what do flight stewardess end up to when they are no longer as young as they are when they first join an airline? I mean I can't be forever young. Does that mean that at certain age I got to called it quit?

As for being a pilot, also my ambition, I am not sure if Singapore Airlines (SIA) would want to recruit ladies as pilots. Do ladies get tougher time at the interview?

Hope you can answer my questions. I have let go a few datelines to join SIA due to this uncertainty.

Thank you for your answers in advance. Warmest regards,

Kong S.L

Hi Siew Ling,

I am not sure if Singapore Airlines is recruiting woman pilots, but my guess is that, unlike Cathay Pacific Airways, they are not. I cannot confirm this. If you want to be positive, please contact them. However, not all is lost if the answer is negative. I believe, in the general aviation, they do welcome woman pilots.

The career as a Flight Attendant (flight stewardess) may appear glamorous at first sight but I know it can be hard work sometimes after the novelty of travel is gone. The turnover of this job is quite high and most leave to get settled down when they have found their prospective partners. Furthermore, they don't enjoy long term life career (when they are no longer young) and may have to look for a ground job in the same airline provided there are vacancies for them. In that respect, a pilot career is more suitable because a pilot can continue to fly until 60 years old in Singapore, not to mention that this job gives them a better reward in terms of salary.

Trackback(0)

TrackBack URI for this entry

Comments (1)

Subscribe to this comment's feed
Doubting should i switch course o not
All this while my ambition was to become a pilot..so i often try hard to do the best in mathematics, physics , English and so on...for the rest few subjects.. smilies/smiley.gif and before this i had find many information on cadet pilot requirement in Malaysia..which can straight away used our secondary final year result which call "SPM"but unfortunately i didnt did well.. :cry they want the requirement of 4Bs of the 5th sub including the subjects i mention..but onli physics i got a C n i cant full fill my dream and now im in business. i wish to try apply but i dont know should i or should not?
babygirl , 29 Mar, 2008

Write comment

smaller | bigger

busy

Paperback Version

For Local Availability - Check Here

Recommended By..

LIFE IN THE SKIES

'A Local Bestseller!'

Recommended by

Patrick Smith
Boston USA
(See
here)

Capt Meryl Getline
ex-United Airlines USA
(See
here)

Capt Doug Morris
Canadian Airlines
(See
here)

Capt  Robert J Boser
ex-United Airlines USA
(See
here)

38 Readers' Comments
(See here)

Get an autographed copy here

AMAZON.COM  -  To Order, please Click here 

(eBook) Kindle edition - please Click here

View Book Launch video here

Follow me

@CaptKHLim

Like What You Read?

If you like what you read, more stories are found in my book LIFE IN THE SKIES (Preview here) and you can purchase a copy here. To check for any latest updates or postings, you can follow my Twitter at @CaptKHLim or Facebook here

MH 370 Interviews

Click here to View

10 Most Popular Posts

Disclaimer | Privacy
2004 - 2011 © AskCaptainLim.com | Site Concept by eQuilec.com