PLEASE stop asking about your eyes!!! Read the art

Vomiting on long hau
I have traveled a lot (almost 2 million miles) the

Can you become an ai
Hi captain , I had an accident 15 yrs ago and ha

Does a jet aircraft
Reading through the comments was both entertaining

Does a jet aircraft
So many nonsense here... Earth isn't flat. Period.

What are the cruisin
"how in the hell can you reach JFK if you leave fr

What are the eyesigh
tjsoihsdojfsioufs f post

What are the procedu
Hello Sir, I am currently B737NG Cpt.TRI /TRE hol

Could an A320 pilot
I plan to do ATR 72 -600 type rating , for that be

Is there less turbul
Flying from San Francisco to Philippines, end of M

Paperback Version

For Local Availability - Check Here

Home > Becoming a Pilot > Are Cadet Pilot Programs being offered by EVA or China Airlines?
Are Cadet Pilot Programs being offered by EVA or China Airlines?
Pilot Career - Becoming a Pilot
Tuesday, 17 April 2007 06:44

Hi Captain Lim,

First and foremost, a very informative and well organized website! I love it!

I am currently a Taiwanese College student studying in the US and I have decided to become a commercial pilot for one of the two major airlines in my country - EVA Air or China Airlines. I have read through your website and want to gain some more insight on how and where to start.

Since I have just started to do some research, the best and most fiscally efficient way is to join the Cadet Program based on what I have researched. That raises my first question - are there any existing cadet programs being offered by these two airlines? I have tried to look for it on the website but came back with no result. Hopefully, you might have some insight. If there is no cadet program offered, what should I do so as the to reduce the amount of money and time spent on obtaining commercial airline license.

Is it better to go to flying school here in the US or back to my country that they*ll send us either to the US or Australia for flight training that exceeds 8-10 months after passing the FAA medical, TOEIC (Test of English for International Communication) English and Psychometric test.

Thank you for your understanding and cooperation.

Best regards

Henry

Hi Henry,

Yes, there is still a shortage of commercial pilots in Taiwan. As the pool of pilots from the Air Force declined, many foreign pilots have been hired into EVA Air and China Airlines. However, the government policy is to have more local pilots ? hence your chances of getting into either of them are good!

The Taiwanese CAA pilot training policy was that, aspiring pilots must be college graduates under the age of 30. Successful candidates would have to receive one year of training in Engineering, Aerodynamics, Aero Electronics and English Language at the National Taiwan University. After that, graduates would be sent to Australia for a year of flight training. On their return, they would join the Taiwanese airlines and receive their type rating and operate as copilots initially.

China Airlines, the national flag carrier, started its pilot training program in 1988. They initially sent their pilot trainees to the Flight School located in the U.S. State of North Dakota before returning home to join their fleet. Today, CAL operates planes such as the Airbus A330/340s, Boeing 737-800s or Boeing 747-400s.

In the case of EVA Air, they recruit College graduates and put them through strict assessments before they begin their flight training. Their pilot training begins with eight months of ground school in Taiwan. The candidates are then sent to the Airline Training Center in the U.S. State of Arizona. After their final training on the simulators at the Center (a subsidiary of the German carrier Lufthansa) the pilot trainees return to Taiwan to gain their flight proficiency on the aircraft types (Airbus A330, Boeing 747, Boeing 777, MD-11)

So, I believe, they do have some kind of Cadet Programs, which recruit trainee pilots through the advertised channels at regular intervals.

Currently, China Airlines are only recruiting expatriate Captains for the B744 fleets and First Officer positions on the B744/B738/ A330 fleets. (See
here)

EVA Air is looking for pilots in the Boeing 747-400s, Boeing 777s and MD-11s fleets. (See
here)

As is any Cadet Pilot Program, competition to get into one is tough. Find out more about the next recruitment process before you embark into your own sponsorship. I am not clear on the airlines policy. Some may want to train their own cadet pilots from scratch and mould them up. Others would welcome you warmly if you are a Taiwanese with the necessary training and license obtained from a recognized Flight Training Center in the US (FAA ATP) or one from Australia (ICAO ATPL).

If there is no forthcoming Cadet Programs being offered, then only consider sponsoring your own self either in the USA or Australia.

Wish you all the best!

Trackback(0)

TrackBack URI for this entry

Comments (2)

Subscribe to this comment's feed
asking for an helping hand
hello great people of taiwan can i be able to get this scholarship because it need seriously by me.i love to be a pilot but the financial aspect of it all is my problem and our bad leader are not ready to help please can the taiwan govt please help me if it means me signing a bond with the country.please one one should please help me please from the deepest part of my heart am pleading for a help if an please can mail me via chibuezearuwe@ymail.com or +2348031136442.thanks be the happiest of all ears to hear from anyonesmilies/cool.gif
chibueze , 18 Nov, 2012
flying school
Hi Captain Lim,
You mentioned that only consider sponsoring our own self either in the USA or Australia. What about in Canada? Is their training also well recognized by other countries around the world?
David , 07 Sep, 2015

Write comment

smaller | bigger

busy

Paperback Version

For Local Availability - Check Here

Recommended By..

LIFE IN THE SKIES

'A Local Bestseller!'

Recommended by

Patrick Smith
Boston USA
(See
here)

Capt Meryl Getline
ex-United Airlines USA
(See
here)

Capt Doug Morris
Canadian Airlines
(See
here)

Capt  Robert J Boser
ex-United Airlines USA
(See
here)

38 Readers' Comments
(See here)

Get an autographed copy here

AMAZON.COM  -  To Order, please Click here 

(eBook) Kindle edition - please Click here

View Book Launch video here

Follow me

@CaptKHLim

Like What You Read?

If you like what you read, more stories are found in my book LIFE IN THE SKIES (Preview here) and you can purchase a copy here. To check for any latest updates or postings, you can follow my Twitter at @CaptKHLim or Facebook here

MH 370 Interviews

Click here to View

10 Most Popular Posts

Disclaimer | Privacy
2004 - 2011 © AskCaptainLim.com | Site Concept by eQuilec.com