What happens if I ge
I have seen a comment from a Flight attendant that

What are the eyesigh
Captain, I am in class 11 in India and want to bec

What are the eyesigh
PLEASE stop asking about your eyes!!! Read the art

Paperback Version

For Local Availability - Check Here

Home > Becoming a Pilot > Am I not cut out for making a career in aviation?
Am I not cut out for making a career in aviation?
Pilot Career - Becoming a Pilot
Sunday, 22 October 2006 23:47

Hello Captain Lim!

Firstly, may I say what a wonderful thing you are doing on your website. The information I have amassed from scanning your web pages has brought me joy to no end!

I am 23 years old and have just finished a Master*s degree from the London School of Economics - in Economic History. I have always wanted to become a pilot since I was a boy, and so I applied to CTC Aviation (you must be familiar with them). Yesterday, I attended their assessment day and I failed the selection due to the PILAPT test.

Naturally I am disappointed, as I believe I have much to offer to the airline industry. I do not believe that this is an accurate way of measuring my aptitude for flying, at least the particular things, which I was required to do.

I have not studied A Level Maths or Physics but I got good marks at GCSE level. Do you think I am not cut out for making a career in aviation? My biggest problem is that CTC provide the finance for the training and I do not have the financial resources myself to sponsor my own training. And all the airlines I have visited recruit cadets from CTC!

Also, do you know of any other similar schemes to CTC that train pilots but do not ask students to sponsor themselves?

I would be very interested to hear what you make of my situation, I would be very grateful for your professional advice.

Thank you for your time, and have a good weekend.

Michael

Hi Michael,

The pilot career has been the dream of many youths who love travel, excitement and the lure of a reasonable pay packet. Naturally, the competition to become a pilot becomes that much more tougher. So, various airlines have their own filtering processes to select the best candidates.

One process used by airlines is PILAPT (Pilot Aptitude Testing System). Some say that you can*t prepare for it ? either you have the ability or you don*t. Perhaps, that is a little pessimistic. Obviously, with the basic requirements, some preparation and researches into how PILAPT is conducted would help to give you the confidence to undergo the test successfully.

What are the basic qualifications for the cadet pilots in the CTC Aviation wings program?

Well, basically, amongst others, you must have passed a minimum of 5 GCSEs at grade C or above, to include Maths, English and a Science; you must have 2 A Levels at grade C or above - or an Honors Degree with a minimum level of 2:2.

So Maths and a Science subject are important. Yes, you can be a pilot on your own but unless you can fulfill the requirements and pass the stringent selection process, the airlines will not employ you.

I am not very familiar about the pilot career prospect in UK or Europe in order to comment on the marketability of this job there. However, I recently spoke to my Airbus simulator instructor from Toulouse (just promoted to the Airbus A380), who told me that there are thousand of pilots in France still unemployed. So I am not very sure about the case in England.

Do I know of any other schemes similar to the CTC that train pilots but do not ask students to sponsor themselves?

Well, I do know that Singapore Airlines has such a scheme. Although they are recruiting local citizens and Malaysians, they have nevertheless been casting their nets to Hong Kong and India where English is widely spoken. If you are prepared to dislocate to Singapore and accept a lower remuneration, it is worth a try to submit your application there.
If they accept your application, buy me a beer ya? Smile

Trackback(0)

TrackBack URI for this entry

Comments (0)

Subscribe to this comment's feed

Write comment

smaller | bigger

busy

Paperback Version

For Local Availability - Check Here

Recommended By..

LIFE IN THE SKIES

'A Local Bestseller!'

Recommended by

Patrick Smith
Boston USA
(See
here)

Capt Meryl Getline
ex-United Airlines USA
(See
here)

Capt Doug Morris
Canadian Airlines
(See
here)

Capt  Robert J Boser
ex-United Airlines USA
(See
here)

38 Readers' Comments
(See here)

Get an autographed copy here

AMAZON.COM  -  To Order, please Click here 

(eBook) Kindle edition - please Click here

View Book Launch video here

Follow me

@CaptKHLim

Like What You Read?

If you like what you read, more stories are found in my book LIFE IN THE SKIES (Preview here) and you can purchase a copy here. To check for any latest updates or postings, you can follow my Twitter at @CaptKHLim or Facebook here

MH 370 Interviews

Click here to View

10 Most Popular Posts

Disclaimer | Privacy
2004 - 2011 © AskCaptainLim.com | Site Concept by eQuilec.com