What are the eyesigh
Captain, I am in class 11 in India and want to bec

What are the eyesigh
PLEASE stop asking about your eyes!!! Read the art

Vomiting on long hau
I have traveled a lot (almost 2 million miles) the

Paperback Version

For Local Availability - Check Here

Home > Becoming a Pilot > Pilot aspirant - Should I refinance my house to take up flying?
Pilot aspirant - Should I refinance my house to take up flying?
Pilot Career - Becoming a Pilot
Saturday, 04 April 2015 03:53

The Great Airline Pilot Shortage Myth (Part I)

Dear Captain Lim,

I always wanted to be a pilot. It is my passion and dream. I am from an average family and have some financial problem to pay for the course fees, I have applied for the British Airways cadetship but was rejected. This means that the only way to fulfill my dream is through the flying school.

I know that educational loan does not provide for 100% of the total course fees. My Mum and I have decided to "re-finance" our house. Our plan to do so was not only to pay for the course fees but also to help my Dad settle his credit card debts and other loans so that we have to pay for one loan only.

I know I wouldn't settle for a normal 9-to-5 job, I wanted freedom. That's why I want to be in the skies. This is actually not a second option. I want to be a pilot and I know what his responsibilities are. It's not about the glamour and salary, I really love and enjoy flying.

I don't know what to do. Do I really have to refinance my house? I know it will put my family in risk too.

I really hope that you could answer and give me some advice

Thank you for your time, I really appreciated it!

Best Regards,
Bryan San

Hi Bryan,

I would suggest that you think twice before you impoverish your family by refinancing your house for a loan that may not be able to provide you the returns that you hope for. There is absolutely no guarantee of an airline flying job after graduation due to many others in the market. You can further read an article No takeoff for cadet pilots by another writer (William Dennis) in his letter to a local newspaper here 

Today, the best way to become an airline pilot is to be sponsored by the Airlines. Unfortunately, the opportunities are few and you have to be very good to get through the selection process. Once selected, they would guarantee you a lifelong flying job. A private pilot will have a hard time recovering from the investment unless his parent have a lot of cash.

More information about the pilot career are found in my website (www.askcaptainlim.com – please scroll down on this homepage on the left to Pilot Career)

The Great Airline Pilot Shortage Myth (Part II)

So you want to be an airline pilot

Trackback(0)

TrackBack URI for this entry

Comments (4)

Subscribe to this comment's feed
Follow your dream
If this is the biggest thing you want to do in life, just go for it.
The cost is crazy and yet it's a fantastic job. It's like everything in life, nothing is guaranteed. but I'd rather move forward saying I tried than regretting not doing anything to fulfill a dream.
My name is Liew Win Hoe and I can say I am as desperate as you, and I know how it burns when realizing you are getting older and and older but still stay on the ground.
I'm planning to work for a few years to save the money for flight school if there is no cadet pilot program could take me to the sky.
Cheers!
Liew Win Hoe , 04 Apr, 2015
Follow your dream
If it's the biggest thing you want to do in life, just go for it.
It's a gamble because nothing is guaranteed, it's like everything in life but yet it's still the most fantastic job. I'd rather move forward saying I tried than regret doing nothing to fulfill my dream.
My name is Win Hoe. I could say I'm as desperate as you and I know how it burns when you realize that you are growing older day to day but still staying on the ground. I'm planning to work for at least 5 years to save up the sum of money before enrolling in a flight school.
Stay positive, never lose faith.
Cheers
Liew Win Hoe , 04 Apr, 2015
Totally agree with Captain Lim.
Bentley Foong , 24 Apr, 2015
Follow your dream
Hope you would be able to achieve your dreams soon!
Likewise many including i, was aspired to fly.

Captain Lim but i was informed that airlines are facing shortages of pilot as of current due to many factors which i'm sure you're aware of.
Hence would like to check with you if that was true?
E.L , 04 Jul, 2015

Write comment

smaller | bigger

busy

Paperback Version

For Local Availability - Check Here

Recommended By..

LIFE IN THE SKIES

'A Local Bestseller!'

Recommended by

Patrick Smith
Boston USA
(See
here)

Capt Meryl Getline
ex-United Airlines USA
(See
here)

Capt Doug Morris
Canadian Airlines
(See
here)

Capt  Robert J Boser
ex-United Airlines USA
(See
here)

38 Readers' Comments
(See here)

Get an autographed copy here

AMAZON.COM  -  To Order, please Click here 

(eBook) Kindle edition - please Click here

View Book Launch video here

Follow me

@CaptKHLim

Like What You Read?

If you like what you read, more stories are found in my book LIFE IN THE SKIES (Preview here) and you can purchase a copy here. To check for any latest updates or postings, you can follow my Twitter at @CaptKHLim or Facebook here

MH 370 Interviews

Click here to View

10 Most Popular Posts

Disclaimer | Privacy
2004 - 2011 © AskCaptainLim.com | Site Concept by eQuilec.com