PLEASE stop asking about your eyes!!! Read the art

Vomiting on long hau
I have traveled a lot (almost 2 million miles) the

Can you become an ai
Hi captain , I had an accident 15 yrs ago and ha

Does a jet aircraft
Reading through the comments was both entertaining

Does a jet aircraft
So many nonsense here... Earth isn't flat. Period.

What are the cruisin
"how in the hell can you reach JFK if you leave fr

What are the eyesigh
tjsoihsdojfsioufs f post

Paperback Version

For Local Availability - Check Here

Home > Becoming a Pilot > What could I expect from the Air Asia’s DEFO (Direct Entry First Officer) pilot recruitment process?
What could I expect from the Air Asia’s DEFO (Direct Entry First Officer) pilot recruitment process?
Pilot Career - Becoming a Pilot
Monday, 25 June 2012 18:12

Air Asia is growing

Dear Captain Lim,

On behalf of all pilots and pilot-wannabes, I just want to say thank you for running such an informative website. I understand you have retired but you are still doing your best to help others instead of relaxing and laying back. You are truly an aviation enthusiast.

I will be sitting for my Air Asia DEFO exam. And I am pretty sure there are a lot of pilot graduates out there going to sit for the exam sooner or later. So it would be really helpful if you could tell us what kind of questions we should expect and what should we concentrate on.

Is reading 'Ace the Pilot Technical Interview' enough? I have been trying to search the Internet for any info regarding the exam but I haven't got much. From what I have been told, it is really a hard exam and only a few have managed to pass it.

It also would be helpful if you could let us know about the other stages too; Stage 2 (interview), Stage 3 (simulator)

I apologize if I am asking too much. I did not want to burden you with such questions, but I did not know where to ask.

Thank you very much and have a good day.

Naim

Hi Naim,

Let me briefly summarize the Air Asia’s DEFO pilot recruitment process as I get a lot of requests on this topic from other readers as well.

As you know Air Asia appears to be the only airline recruiting pilots in this region at the moment, so the competition is therefore very tough for all aspiring airline pilots.

The process consists of the following stages:-

1. Exam
2. Interview
3. CRM (Crew Resources Management) exercise.
4. Simulator Check Ride (For Ab-initio pilot entry – they have to go through the Pilot Assessment Screening by ADAPT - see here )

Examination

The level of knowledge required is ATPL standard. Reading Ace the Pilot Technical Interview is of course a help but not necessary sufficient unless you also know the basic concept about flying a plane. There are about 40 questions (they are not repeated for every batch). The passing mark is around 75 %..

Interview

This will be based generally on the candidate’s character and interest (eg Why you want to be an airline pilot? etc.), aviation knowledge and a wide ranging topic especially on current affairs pertaining to aviation.

CRM Exercise

This Crew Resources Management exercise is all about team work – are you a loner or team player?

Simulator Check

You will be checked on 3 levels of your flying skills inside an Airbus A320 simulator.

Level 1 - basic flying with the use of the Flight Director
Level 2 - test your ability to fly, e.g. climb and descent in the landing configuration with the Flight Director and Auto Thrust
Level 3 – test your ability to fly the basic flying manoeuvres without Auto Pilot and Auto Thrust.

If you can get through all these hurdles, then you would be recruited. For your information, only 20 candidates were successful in a group of 250 in the last batch of the recruitment

To all aspiring airline pilots, I wish you all the best!

PS. To check for any latest updates or postings, you can follow my new Twitter at @CaptKHLim 

The making of Air Asia’s 100th Dragon

Trackback(0)

TrackBack URI for this entry

Comments (8)

Subscribe to this comment's feed
Explanation of passing mark , Low-rated comment [Show]
Type Rating
Dear Captain Lim,

I would like to ask, once we passed all the stages, do we have to pay for the Type Rating?
Dex Mah , 16 Jul, 2012
Re: Explanation of passing mark
Mr Curious,

I think is pretty simple. You add up all the top 3 candidate's score, and divide it by 3. That number would be the minimum passing mark
Bravo , 16 Jul, 2012
Type Rating
Dear Captain Lim,

I would like to ask, do we have to pay for the type rating if we pass all the stages?

Thank you.
Dex Mah , 17 Jul, 2012
Type Rating
Dear Captain Lim,

I would like to ask do we have to pay for our Type Rating once we are being accepted by AirAsia?
Dex Mah , 21 Jul, 2012
Mother
Capt Lim, may I ask about the 20 final recruits of the 250? Do you mean the 250 sat for the paper exam and only 20 suceeded to the final stage? How many managed to get to final but got kicked out at 4th Stage?

Can you rpvide some tips on how to pass the 4th stage?
Jennifer Leong , 08 Dec, 2012
Mother
250 sat for paper exam and only 20 selected after final stage?

For last batch (may 2012) Can you please give an example of how many passed first stage, then 2nd stage, and then 3 stage just to fail 4th stage? We would like to know some figures here. Thank you very much.
Jennifer Leong , 08 Dec, 2012
ADAPT
what is ADAPT about?
francis , 22 Jun, 2016

Write comment

smaller | bigger

busy

Paperback Version

For Local Availability - Check Here

Recommended By..

LIFE IN THE SKIES

'A Local Bestseller!'

Recommended by

Patrick Smith
Boston USA
(See
here)

Capt Meryl Getline
ex-United Airlines USA
(See
here)

Capt Doug Morris
Canadian Airlines
(See
here)

Capt  Robert J Boser
ex-United Airlines USA
(See
here)

38 Readers' Comments
(See here)

Get an autographed copy here

AMAZON.COM  -  To Order, please Click here 

(eBook) Kindle edition - please Click here

View Book Launch video here

Follow me

@CaptKHLim

Like What You Read?

If you like what you read, more stories are found in my book LIFE IN THE SKIES (Preview here) and you can purchase a copy here. To check for any latest updates or postings, you can follow my Twitter at @CaptKHLim or Facebook here

MH 370 Interviews

Click here to View

10 Most Popular Posts

Disclaimer | Privacy
2004 - 2011 © AskCaptainLim.com | Site Concept by eQuilec.com