PLEASE stop asking about your eyes!!! Read the art

Vomiting on long hau
I have traveled a lot (almost 2 million miles) the

Can you become an ai
Hi captain , I had an accident 15 yrs ago and ha

Does a jet aircraft
Reading through the comments was both entertaining

Does a jet aircraft
So many nonsense here... Earth isn't flat. Period.

What are the cruisin
"how in the hell can you reach JFK if you leave fr

What are the eyesigh
tjsoihsdojfsioufs f post

Paperback Version

For Local Availability - Check Here

Home > Air Turbulence > How modern planes handle turbulence and make flying more comfortable?
How modern planes handle turbulence and make flying more comfortable?
Weather - Air Turbulence
Wednesday, 30 April 2008 10:30

Dear Captain Lim,

I have been a 'flying doctor' for a good part of the last eight years as well as a frequent long-haul flyer. I have flown many hours in all manner of aircraft.

Never have I experienced turbulence like I encountered while flying in a small Westwind jet over the South Pacific towards American Samoa. It was without warning, like a rollercoaster, went on for close to 3 or 4 mins and I was out of my seat at the time.

Now I have panic attacks even thinking about flying and obviously it affects my job. I have read widely on the facts about turbulence and your site has been very helpful.

Recently, I flew internationally on the 777. I knew there was turbulence suppression technology on the aircraft and for the first time in some months, I began to have some confidence again.

I have three questions please...

Firstly, were the effects of the clear air turbulence we encountered made worse in the smaller jet?

Secondly, do older generation 767s, have a worse ride in turbulent conditions than newer Airbus aircraft?

Thirdly, I have read the 787 will have very advanced lateral and vertical gust suppression, vastly improving the effects of turbulence. Are there similar technologies in the A380? Do you know from the industry how it handles turbulence? I live in NZ and unfortunately you have to fly a long way to go anywhere.

Thank you so much for your response.

Kind regards,

John

Hi John,

I have written a few times regarding your first two questions in my Air Turbulence topic but now, I will answer your third question.

Yes, the Boeing 787 has similar gust suppression system as the Boeing 777 and will definitely provide a more comfortable ride in air turbulence. In fact, Boeing has engineered its new Boeing 787 Dreamliner to reduce light to moderate turbulence by up to two-thirds while the plane climbs to high altitudes. Hence the ride quality should certainly improve with this new active gust alleviation system. Airbus uses almost similar kind of system in its digitally controlled aircraft such as the A380 - including the A320 family as well. In addition, because of the shear size, it does help to make the Airbus A380 more resistant to effects of severe turbulence.

That said, turbulence cannot be completely removed as long as one is flying in the air. But the good news is that a new turbulence detection system is being tested whereby this device can alert pilots to patches of rough air as they fly through clouds. This system is designed by the National Center for Atmospheric Research (NCAR) and tested by United Airlines on commercial flights.

This new system uses a method known as NTDA (NEXRAD Turbulence Detection Algorithm) to analyze data obtained from the National Weather Service's modern weather radars. The resulting real-time snapshot of turbulence can be transmitted to pilots in the cockpit and made available to airline meteorologists and dispatchers via a Web-based display.

In the past, pilots have lacked accurate measurements of turbulence that develops in clouds and thunderstorms partly because turbulent areas may be small, evolve quickly and occur outside the most intense parts of the storm. As a result, FAA guidelines suggest that planes avoid thunderstorms by at least 20 miles when possible even though large sections of that area may contain relatively calm air.

The NTDA captures turbulence in storms by peering into clouds to analyze the distribution of winds. It reprocesses radar data to remove factors that can contaminate measurements, such as sunlight, nearby storms, or even swarms of insects flying near the radar dish.

The NTDA does not measure clear-air turbulence such as that caused by the jet stream or by wind flowing over mountainous terrain. But about two out of every three turbulence encounters are associated with clouds and storms. For more, go here.

The United Airline's pilots who tested the system found it gave them an accurate depiction of the intensity of turbulence.

NCAR scientist, Bob Sharman says the system will provide a safer air travel in the United States by 2011.

Well, John, you may have to wait for at least three more years for the system to be enjoyed worldwide! Meanwhile, the Dreamliner and the Airbus A380 (SIA flies them from Sydney to London but not from NZ yet ) should be your choice for a more comfortable flight in future!

Trackback(0)

TrackBack URI for this entry

Comments (7)

Subscribe to this comment's feed
turbulence , Low-rated comment [Show]
This article appears to end md-sentence. At least from my iPhone. Is there text missing?
Simon , 05 Mar, 2010
Is turbulence caused by cloudy weather , Low-rated comment [Show]
A380 Turbulence , Low-rated comment [Show]
Boeing 777 turbulence
It was kind of scary when it comes to an aircraft flying into a turbulence. Turbulence is not that dangerous, you just need to put on your seatbelts. Turbulence may not be that dangerous but it can become dangerous in some cases These planes are built with many different types of materials equipped to protect aircraft and their wings from snapping off while flying in turbulence, this means that it is very difficult to break the wings of the wings of the plane. Aircraft can basically handle as much turbulence than anything else. I flew onboard a Boeing 777 that entered a turbulence that was a little bit severe but everything was fine, nothing happened.
Jimmy , 07 Apr, 2012
President, Research Consulting Associates
Guess what/

My Master Thesis at MIT's Aero/Astro Department was titled,"A Theoretical and Experimental Investigation
of the Validity and Applicability of Generalized Harmonic Analysis in the Prediction of Gust Loads".

This is a very wordy title for work that I did with Dr. Raimo Hakkinen, a recent graduate (in 1955) from California Institute of Technology. My part of the work was theoretical, his experimental. I had obtained a research contract from NACA, the forerunner of NASA to do this project. To earn my masters degree I took every course MIT offered in the science of automatic feedback control, statistical communication theory, and probability.
These mostly were in the Electrical Engineering department, some were in the Aero. department too.

Anyway, i was well prepared to do this work. Later, I took another tack; namely, trying to find solutions to a major problem in the transport of electric power over HV transmission lines in foul weather when the problem of "Galloping Conductors" raised its ugly head.
My website: This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it '> This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it will show you what I mean.
Now, I am planning to get back into the gust alleviation business. I have some ideas that will do the job differently than what is being used now.Hope to talk to you more about this.

Sincerely,

Albert S. Richardson, P.E.

==============================================
albert s. richardson , 11 Dec, 2012
Scared the crap out of me. Severe turbulence while flying through a storm
Recently, was on a United flight in a Embraer 145, and flew through a severe storm on the border of eastern Colorado at night on a trip from Des Moine, Iowa to Denver Colorado. The pilot slowed down the jet during some severe turbulence. But, then he did full power and pulled up the plane and started a ascent through the storm. The turbulence got very severe for about 30 Secs which seemed like an eternity. Can you tell me why he would have done this ?
Marshall , 24 Jun, 2013

Write comment

smaller | bigger

busy

Paperback Version

For Local Availability - Check Here

Recommended By..

LIFE IN THE SKIES

'A Local Bestseller!'

Recommended by

Patrick Smith
Boston USA
(See
here)

Capt Meryl Getline
ex-United Airlines USA
(See
here)

Capt Doug Morris
Canadian Airlines
(See
here)

Capt  Robert J Boser
ex-United Airlines USA
(See
here)

38 Readers' Comments
(See here)

Get an autographed copy here

AMAZON.COM  -  To Order, please Click here 

(eBook) Kindle edition - please Click here

View Book Launch video here

Follow me

@CaptKHLim

Like What You Read?

If you like what you read, more stories are found in my book LIFE IN THE SKIES (Preview here) and you can purchase a copy here. To check for any latest updates or postings, you can follow my Twitter at @CaptKHLim or Facebook here

MH 370 Interviews

Click here to View

10 Most Popular Posts

Disclaimer | Privacy
2004 - 2011 © AskCaptainLim.com | Site Concept by eQuilec.com