PLEASE stop asking about your eyes!!! Read the art

Vomiting on long hau
I have traveled a lot (almost 2 million miles) the

Can you become an ai
Hi captain , I had an accident 15 yrs ago and ha

Does a jet aircraft
Reading through the comments was both entertaining

Does a jet aircraft
So many nonsense here... Earth isn't flat. Period.

What are the cruisin
"how in the hell can you reach JFK if you leave fr

What are the eyesigh
tjsoihsdojfsioufs f post

Paperback Version

For Local Availability - Check Here

Home > Air Turbulence > Sit down, buckle in please!
Sit down, buckle in please!
Weather - Air Turbulence
Friday, 01 June 2007 02:33

Hi Captain Lim,

Having experienced severe air turbulence over Holland (Netherlands) myself almost 20 years ago, and having read of the 777 that went through it just a few days back, made me write you to let you know of a pet peeve

Passengers who want to roam about the aircraft (while the FASTEN SEAT BELT LIGHT IS STILL ILLUMINATED, AND COUNTER TO DIRECT INSTRUCTION FROM THE CREW!), open overhead luggage compartments, and start rummaging through their belongings as if they were standing in their closet at home.

I could care less if these non-complying passengers only risk injury to themselves, however, since a majority are elderly, (sometimes frail and of questionable muscle and body strength, as well as unbalanced), they risk injury and potential problems for those passengers WHO ALWAYS REMAIN BUCKLED AND SEATED, unless absolutely necessary!

I would be the first to tell you that more passengers are likely roam on a 15-hour flight to Tokyo, but just as many do it on a 45-minute flight from Houston to New Orleans!

I would leave the reader with the following impression, to simplify the understanding of turbulence: Imagine yourself on a 12 foot aluminum fishing boat, running with a trolling motor, traveling at a leisurely pace over calm water. Then, all of a sudden, a 65-foot twin-engine yacht screams across your bow 50 feet away at full throttle. The resulting wake is horrendous, and nearly throws you out of your boat! You actually cling to the hull for dear life. Under no circumstances would you ever stand up in your fishing boat while it is moving, right?

Now tell me why any passenger would do it in any air (boat) craft, traveling over a "pond" of air, with those blindsiding (gale force) Yachts ready to cross you anytime, anywhere? I thought so---sit down, buckle in, and let the crew do their job. A traveling airplane is a guided Intercontinental Ballistic Passenger Craft! Respect crew instructions AT ALL TIMES, and have the courtesy, for both your safety, and those passengers around you TO STAY SEATED, PERIOD!

Tom Smile

The guy sitting under your 35-pound carry-on, and your wobbling 175-pound body, while you disregard safety advice of the crew!

Hi Tom,

I agree with you that passengers who totally disregard the Fasten Seat Belt signs are also a hazard to others.

Thank you for your concern. I wish there are more law-abiding passengers like you who respect crew instructions at all times :-)

Have a good day!

Trackback(0)

TrackBack URI for this entry

Comments (2)

Subscribe to this comment's feed
Turbulence
Hi Capt Lim, first of all, i would like to thank you very much for your very awesome and informative website! I am still afraid of flying and fly frequently to Hong Kong to visit my girlfriend, and the flight is usually smooth sometimes and rough sometimes, and i gotta tell ya, your website has helped me overcome many of my fears! Thank You very much and i wish you all the best in your endeavors!

God Bless.

TP
Tauvela Paniani , 06 Feb, 2008
Turbulence
Dear Cpt Lim: I hate turbulence. Is it dangerouws? What lenght of time can it last? Can a plane go down because of it?
Laura Caraza , 19 Feb, 2008

Write comment

smaller | bigger

busy

Paperback Version

For Local Availability - Check Here

Recommended By..

LIFE IN THE SKIES

'A Local Bestseller!'

Recommended by

Patrick Smith
Boston USA
(See
here)

Capt Meryl Getline
ex-United Airlines USA
(See
here)

Capt Doug Morris
Canadian Airlines
(See
here)

Capt  Robert J Boser
ex-United Airlines USA
(See
here)

38 Readers' Comments
(See here)

Get an autographed copy here

AMAZON.COM  -  To Order, please Click here 

(eBook) Kindle edition - please Click here

View Book Launch video here

Follow me

@CaptKHLim

Like What You Read?

If you like what you read, more stories are found in my book LIFE IN THE SKIES (Preview here) and you can purchase a copy here. To check for any latest updates or postings, you can follow my Twitter at @CaptKHLim or Facebook here

MH 370 Interviews

Click here to View

10 Most Popular Posts

Disclaimer | Privacy
2004 - 2011 © AskCaptainLim.com | Site Concept by eQuilec.com