PLEASE stop asking about your eyes!!! Read the art

Vomiting on long hau
I have traveled a lot (almost 2 million miles) the

Can you become an ai
Hi captain , I had an accident 15 yrs ago and ha

Does a jet aircraft
Reading through the comments was both entertaining

Does a jet aircraft
So many nonsense here... Earth isn't flat. Period.

What are the cruisin
"how in the hell can you reach JFK if you leave fr

What are the eyesigh
tjsoihsdojfsioufs f post

Paperback Version

For Local Availability - Check Here

Home > Air Turbulence > Why is air turbulence getting so common today?
Why is air turbulence getting so common today?
Weather - Air Turbulence
Tuesday, 17 April 2012 02:27

Air Turbulence Tips

Hello Capt Lim,

I really thank you for taking the time to answer our questions. I fly almost every week for business and turbulence is almost a certainty these days.

My question is WHY? I've flown almost every week for the last 8 years to many global destinations and I have noticed that during the last years, having a smooth and "boring" flight is the exception. I don't remember that flights used to be like that. I remember that flights used to be bumpy only during winter season and you could easily notice that weather had become more stable when you started to have smoother flights.

Today, no matter the season, time, and route, there is always clear air turbulence. Like something has changed.

Do Flight Professionals have noticed this change too - more turbulence than before?

I know and understand that turbulence is a comfort issue, not a safety issue, but at the end of the day the truth is that it feels TERRIBLE and anxiety comes from not knowing what will come later!

Once the airplane starts to move, it can continue like that, calm down, or get worse, you just can't know during clear air turbulence. I believe that's the main issue that causes anxiety. If you could know that it WILL get worst or that it WILL REMAIN like that, then you know there’s no anxiety, I suppose..

I think that my worst fear is if it is possible for a commercial plane to roll like a fighter aircraft during strong turbulence and end upside down? … or if the plane can be "thrown off" and roll and turn like paper ball for at least a while maybe?

I know this sounds extreme, but sometimes air can hit the airplane so violently that you feel like a feather that can end rolling and turning all over the sky. If you are at 34,000 feet, maybe it's not that bad and you can recover but at around 800 km/h, that doesn't sound very nice and it only comes to my mind a structural damage. I also know that aircraft are design to withstand a lot of stress but what about a rolling or a violent turn? At the speed jet airliners fly it seems that a violent movement may be cruel.

Thanks in advance for your comments!

Carlos

Hi Carlos,

In my opinion, I don’t think the weather has changed as significantly as you have described. Personally, I think it has remained the same, just like the sun rising every morning when it should be

Perhaps you have not been lucky to have flown on the days when the weather has not been so kind to you. Yes, turbulence will always be present if the plane is flown into environment that creates it.

I have answered many questions on this topic here.

PS. To check for any latest updates or postings, you can follow my new Twitter at @CaptKHLim

About Air Turbulence - from a Flight Attendant

Trackback(0)

TrackBack URI for this entry

Comments (3)

Subscribe to this comment's feed
flighs are getting more lighter in new generation models.can you remember about your flight models in your earlier flights and now.
Alex , 09 Jul, 2012
Agree with Carlos
i also noticed air pockets getting worse. i think that since the tsunami in Indonesia about 6-7 years ago, the weather all over the world has been getting unsteady, and with that,turbulence.
J from NY , 16 Oct, 2012
Owner, consulting firm.
I fly Chicago - Honolulu; often twice a month. I have also noticed an increase in light to moderate turbulence in the past two years. In fact, yesterday's flight felt like long ride down a rutted gravel road. Guessing the seat belt sign was on for 6 hours of the 8 1/2 hour flight. I have a different theory. It used to be the pilot often would, with announcement, either change altitude or vector to "smooth out the bumps". I don't see the practice anymore. Any chance the airline management has instructed the pilots to ride out the light to moderate chops rather than making adjustment to mitigate or eliminate the bumps in deference to passenger comfort, always in order to save on fuel costs?
Tom , 26 Feb, 2015

Write comment

smaller | bigger

busy

Paperback Version

For Local Availability - Check Here

Recommended By..

LIFE IN THE SKIES

'A Local Bestseller!'

Recommended by

Patrick Smith
Boston USA
(See
here)

Capt Meryl Getline
ex-United Airlines USA
(See
here)

Capt Doug Morris
Canadian Airlines
(See
here)

Capt  Robert J Boser
ex-United Airlines USA
(See
here)

38 Readers' Comments
(See here)

Get an autographed copy here

AMAZON.COM  -  To Order, please Click here 

(eBook) Kindle edition - please Click here

View Book Launch video here

Follow me

@CaptKHLim

Like What You Read?

If you like what you read, more stories are found in my book LIFE IN THE SKIES (Preview here) and you can purchase a copy here. To check for any latest updates or postings, you can follow my Twitter at @CaptKHLim or Facebook here

MH 370 Interviews

Click here to View

10 Most Popular Posts

Disclaimer | Privacy
2004 - 2011 © AskCaptainLim.com | Site Concept by eQuilec.com