PLEASE stop asking about your eyes!!! Read the art

Vomiting on long hau
I have traveled a lot (almost 2 million miles) the

Can you become an ai
Hi captain , I had an accident 15 yrs ago and ha

Does a jet aircraft
Reading through the comments was both entertaining

Does a jet aircraft
So many nonsense here... Earth isn't flat. Period.

What are the cruisin
"how in the hell can you reach JFK if you leave fr

What are the eyesigh
tjsoihsdojfsioufs f post

Paperback Version

For Local Availability - Check Here

Home > Interviewing Process > Should I apply again in 6 months' time when I am better prepared?
Should I apply again in 6 months' time when I am better prepared?
Pilot Career - Interviewing Process
Wednesday, 02 January 2008 19:52

Hi Capt Lim,

I have just completed the final round of interview for a position of cadet pilot, and unfortunately, I was not successful. I heard about this web site from another applicant I met and I must say the information here is definitely helpful if one wants to ace the technical pilot interview. I just wished I had come across it earlier so that I could spend more time reading before tossing in my application.

After I got the results, I was really disappointed. I had hoped to start a career as a pilot and I thought, and still believed the SIA cadet pilot training is a fantastic opportunity. Anyway, I sat down and thought about why I failed and I think these are the areas which tripped me up.

I wasn't sure what to expect for the aptitude test and some of the sections were pretty darn tough, even with the explanations. I am sure if I had some experience I would be much more prepared to take on the questions.

The situational test on the final day of the interview practically drowned me. We were ask to design some airport facility (I won't say what that facility is here as it wouldn't be fair to others), and I was struggling half the time to decide how to design it. However, I was really surprised that most of them knew what was expected to be asked. So I suppose there's been some information sharing here and there on the Internet. I won't blame anyone, but I figure that if I had prepared more and read widely regarding the aviation industry in general, I would have aced it.

Finally, I am very familiar with the mechanics of flights. Before the final interview, we had some discussions among ourselves (the pilot-hopefuls) and I was able to explain things like wingtip vortex, chord line and angle of attack, the need for back pressure on a turn, etc, etc. I have read a lot about such stuff even before I decided to apply for the Cadet Pilot position (out of self interest). However, I was completely tripped when I got questions about the flight management systems, where Boeing is based (U.S.A is not acceptable, but Washington D.C is), the parts of a jet engine (knowing how a jet engine works isn't sufficient, you need to know it right down to the bolts and nuts holding the whole thing together). When I got the question of what I would do if I was not to be selected, I knew more or less my fate was sealed on that faithful day.

The tea party wasn't much of what people make out here. The interview ended late, and they seemed to have come to a conclusion who they wanted, so there wasn't much interaction on a one-to-one with the applicants but more so as a group sort of thing.

I believe very strongly, that I will surely make a better candidate if I had knew very roughly what to expect. I'm thinking of applying, say six months from now, so that I can brush up on whatever I need to know. I'm pretty darn stubborn and determined when it comes to getting this place, I guess.

What is your advice?

Once again, great site. I will definitely be visiting it very frequently from now on.

Best regards,

Young

Hi Young,

Thank you for sharing your experience as to why you were unsuccessful in your pilot interview. I don't see any reason why you should not try again in six month's time when you are better prepared.

Remember, success is unlikely to be achieved by someone who has not experienced failure before!

Wish you all the best in your future endeavor.

Trackback(0)

TrackBack URI for this entry

Comments (1)

Subscribe to this comment's feed
Ref: Should I apply again in 6 months ..
To be successful ... you need to pay attention to the details ... for example, your comments on Boeing and Washington DC is incorrect ... Boeing is based in Chicago, IL but the planes are assembled in Washington ... not Washington DC
mike johnson , 11 Apr, 2008

Write comment

smaller | bigger

busy

Paperback Version

For Local Availability - Check Here

Recommended By..

LIFE IN THE SKIES

'A Local Bestseller!'

Recommended by

Patrick Smith
Boston USA
(See
here)

Capt Meryl Getline
ex-United Airlines USA
(See
here)

Capt Doug Morris
Canadian Airlines
(See
here)

Capt  Robert J Boser
ex-United Airlines USA
(See
here)

38 Readers' Comments
(See here)

Get an autographed copy here

AMAZON.COM  -  To Order, please Click here 

(eBook) Kindle edition - please Click here

View Book Launch video here

Follow me

@CaptKHLim

Like What You Read?

If you like what you read, more stories are found in my book LIFE IN THE SKIES (Preview here) and you can purchase a copy here. To check for any latest updates or postings, you can follow my Twitter at @CaptKHLim or Facebook here

MH 370 Interviews

Click here to View

10 Most Popular Posts

Disclaimer | Privacy
2004 - 2011 © AskCaptainLim.com | Site Concept by eQuilec.com