PLEASE stop asking about your eyes!!! Read the art

Vomiting on long hau
I have traveled a lot (almost 2 million miles) the

Can you become an ai
Hi captain , I had an accident 15 yrs ago and ha

Does a jet aircraft
Reading through the comments was both entertaining

Does a jet aircraft
So many nonsense here... Earth isn't flat. Period.

What are the cruisin
"how in the hell can you reach JFK if you leave fr

What are the eyesigh
tjsoihsdojfsioufs f post

Paperback Version

For Local Availability - Check Here

Home > Flight Simulator > What do you mean by autolanding on the Boeing 777?
What do you mean by autolanding on the Boeing 777?
Pilot Career - Flight Simulator
Thursday, 02 February 2006 02:49

Dear Captain Lim,

I just went through your website AskCaptainLim. I must say that this website is the mother of all the simulation and aviation sites (I have visited so far) since you provide the real knowledge on how to fly the real approaches on the aircraft. That prove to be very useful in flying the simulators. Although I am an IT professional, I have great interest in flying. Recently, I was having problem lining up the Boeing 737 on the instrument approach, but found a way to lock the ILS and then fly with APP/APR button on (as this was an easy way to keep the plane on the center line).

Here are my queries:

1. What do you exactly mean by *auto landing* on the Boeing 777? What does it do and how to conduct it in the Flight Simulator aircraft? Any other information on the same is most welcomed.

2. Recently I was flying the simulator from Malta to Venice and followed the ATC directions, then locked onto the ILS approach on NAV1 (activated NAV1 on the Radio Stack) and then press the APP/APR button at 3000 ft MSL but this time, the APP/APR button did not work for me. Is there any specific altitude limitation of using APP/APR button? I have read in the flying lessons of flight simulator that the APP button will only work if you fly from below. Why is that?

3. When I am flying an IFR approach and become visual , how do I line up the Boeing 737 or its variants on the centerline without using the APP/APR button? I have tried a lot of ways but fail every time. Can you guide me through this?

I know all these questions are related to the simulator, and since you provide us with the real world knowledge of the actual aircraft, it is very helpful to us when flying in the simulators. Kindly answer the questions at your earliest convenience to enable me to enjoy the simulation at its best. I know it*s very hard for you to actually get the time and answers all these stupid questions.

After looking at your website I have regained my interest in flying and would like to implement your knowledge in the flying the simulators.

Thanks for sparing your invaluable time for reading this mail.

Regards and Best Wishes,

Bhupesh Mansukhani,

Hi Bhupesh,

1. When one talks of *autolanding* on the Boeing 777, not any pilot can take advantage of this capability of the plane. It looks simple (since amongst others, speed control, flare, power reduction, braking action are all automatic) but only an aircrew that is specially trained and certified can legally carry out the maneuver. Landing in almost zero visibility with 300 passengers on board is a serious matter not to be messed around by someone incompetent!

*Autolanding* means that the captain and copilot would critically conduct and monitor the 3 autopilots doing their job of bringing the plane down in poor visibility safely. Should there be any slightest malfunction rendering the autolanding unsafe, human would take over. For more details please read a previous FAQ
. Yes, you can do a full autolanding on the MSFS 2004 anytime you like, as it is only a game ? you would not care if it crashes but not a real autolanding on a plane!

2. In order to capture the glide slope, you must ideally approach it from below and not above. This is not to say that you cannot do it from above. It is a wrong technique - requiring manual intervention (eg. make use of the VS ? Vertical Speed Mode to force it down). As this is a critical phase in a real situation ? near and high ? such an intervention is a recipe for errors and should be avoided at all cost. So, in order to capture and carry a proper ILS, stay below the glide slope, say, hold at 3000 feet at the appropriate speed and there you are?

3. I have not used the MSFS to fly the Boeing 737 but I found that it didn*t work well either on the Boeing 777 on visual and in manual mode. I wonder whether you used the keyboard or a joystick to fly the plane. If they function normally, to return to the centerline, use your aileron.

Okay, contact Srihari This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it for more help on this.

Trackback(0)

TrackBack URI for this entry

Comments (0)

Subscribe to this comment's feed

Write comment

smaller | bigger

busy

Paperback Version

For Local Availability - Check Here

Recommended By..

LIFE IN THE SKIES

'A Local Bestseller!'

Recommended by

Patrick Smith
Boston USA
(See
here)

Capt Meryl Getline
ex-United Airlines USA
(See
here)

Capt Doug Morris
Canadian Airlines
(See
here)

Capt  Robert J Boser
ex-United Airlines USA
(See
here)

38 Readers' Comments
(See here)

Get an autographed copy here

AMAZON.COM  -  To Order, please Click here 

(eBook) Kindle edition - please Click here

View Book Launch video here

Follow me

@CaptKHLim

Like What You Read?

If you like what you read, more stories are found in my book LIFE IN THE SKIES (Preview here) and you can purchase a copy here. To check for any latest updates or postings, you can follow my Twitter at @CaptKHLim or Facebook here

MH 370 Interviews

Click here to View

10 Most Popular Posts

Disclaimer | Privacy
2004 - 2011 © AskCaptainLim.com | Site Concept by eQuilec.com