PLEASE stop asking about your eyes!!! Read the art

Vomiting on long hau
I have traveled a lot (almost 2 million miles) the

Can you become an ai
Hi captain , I had an accident 15 yrs ago and ha

Does a jet aircraft
Reading through the comments was both entertaining

Does a jet aircraft
So many nonsense here... Earth isn't flat. Period.

What are the cruisin
"how in the hell can you reach JFK if you leave fr

What are the eyesigh
tjsoihsdojfsioufs f post

Paperback Version

For Local Availability - Check Here

Home > Female Pilots > Many queries from a young aspiring lady pilot
Many queries from a young aspiring lady pilot
Pilot Career - Female Pilots
Wednesday, 02 January 2008 19:40
Hi Captain Lim,

I have always dreamt of becoming a airline pilot when I grow up. I have a couple of questions to ask and I hope you don't mind answering them.

1. I am a 14 year old student studying in Singapore and I'm contemplating accepting an offer to a school that skips O levels but doesn't offer A levels. It only offers SATs and AP exams. Can I still aspire to be a pilot if I don't do my O Levels and A Levels? Would it be wiser to do the O Levels, or skip the O levels and do A levels? If I don't get O or A level qualifications, does that mean I can't be a pilot?

2. Are there any specific subjects that one has to be good at to qualify as a pilot? Other than Mathematics, Science and English, is it advisable to know Geography as well?

3. I've also heard that one needs to be tall and have long legs to be a pilot. Is that true? Is there a height requirement for pilots?

4. Is it true that some airlines don't accept female pilots?

5. If one has mild scoliosis (less than 10 degrees) can he/she still be a pilot?

6. Are there any particular university courses one should take if he/she is aspiring to be a pilot?

Thanks and hope to hear from you soon.

Carissa

Hi Carissa,

1. Please look at the minimum requirements for joining the SIA cadet pilot program under topic 'Aspiring to be a Pilot'. They would require you to have at least 2 'A 'Level and 2 'O' level passes or a Polytechnic Diploma or a Degree.

2. You need to be good in science subjects like the ones you have mentioned. Other subjects like Geography, etc are only optional or not even required.

3. Yes, you must be of average height. It is not necessary to be tall or have long legs. I rarely see height being mentioned in pilots recruitment except for Cathay Pacific Airways that require their cadet pilot aspirants to be at least 1.6 meters tall.

4. Yes, some airlines have an unwritten policy of not accepting female pilots. But Air Asia and some general aviation companies welcome female pilots.

5. I am afraid I am not a doctor and I am not sure whether scoliosis (lateral spinal curvature) would disqualify you from becoming a pilot. I believe Scoliosis can be treated. Check it out with a specialized aviation doctor to find out on this medical condition.

6. Any University courses related to science would be an advantage but airlines do not normally spell out any specific area that one should major in.

Trackback(0)

TrackBack URI for this entry

Comments (3)

Subscribe to this comment's feed
Is SIA one of the airlines with the unwritten policy?
a123 , 18 Mar, 2009
Specific exercise for mild scoliosis
Idiopathic scoliosis is primarily a neurological condition that has its primary effect on the spine, rather than "just a spine condition". With that in mind, it is no wonder scoliosis brace treatment and scoliosis surgery are becoming obsolete rather quickly. The advent of break through prognostic technologies like Scoliscore (genetic testing) and the soon-to-be-released scoliosis blood test are only going to increase the push for early stage scoliosis intervention scoliosis treatment technology as well. Fortunately, we are already well on our way towards prevention of the condition and hope to prove we can alter the natural course of the condition in even high risk genetically predisposed patients soon. Feel free to check out the neuro-muscular based rehab programs we have specifically designed for idiopathic scoliosis. http://www.treatingscoliosis.com
DrStitzel , 18 Mar, 2011
Scoliosis exercises
Genetic Pre-disposition + Environmental Influences = Idiopathic Scoliosis

Metaphorically, it could be described in terms of toothpaste being squeezed out of a tube. The genetic pre-disposition would be the equivalent of how tightly the cap is screwed on; The environmental influence is how hard the hand is squeezing the tube; and the amount of toothpaste being ejected out of the tube is the resulting combination of both the cap tightness and the pressure from the squeezing hand.

Armed with this basic understanding of scoliosis of spine, it is readily apparent that one must alter either the patients genetic pre-disposition and/or eliminate the environmental influences prior the curvature becoming progressive and bio-mechanically driven.

Find out more about environmental risk factors at http://www.treatingscoliosis.c...-scoliosis

Dr. Stitzel , 19 Dec, 2011

Write comment

smaller | bigger

busy

Paperback Version

For Local Availability - Check Here

Recommended By..

LIFE IN THE SKIES

'A Local Bestseller!'

Recommended by

Patrick Smith
Boston USA
(See
here)

Capt Meryl Getline
ex-United Airlines USA
(See
here)

Capt Doug Morris
Canadian Airlines
(See
here)

Capt  Robert J Boser
ex-United Airlines USA
(See
here)

38 Readers' Comments
(See here)

Get an autographed copy here

AMAZON.COM  -  To Order, please Click here 

(eBook) Kindle edition - please Click here

View Book Launch video here

Follow me

@CaptKHLim

Like What You Read?

If you like what you read, more stories are found in my book LIFE IN THE SKIES (Preview here) and you can purchase a copy here. To check for any latest updates or postings, you can follow my Twitter at @CaptKHLim or Facebook here

MH 370 Interviews

Click here to View

10 Most Popular Posts

Disclaimer | Privacy
2004 - 2011 © AskCaptainLim.com | Site Concept by eQuilec.com