Which flying school
Hi captain, my name is farisyah and next year im h

Are the Airbus A380
Air india pilots salary

How would you compar
I had travel all over the world in so many models

Paperback Version

For Local Availability - Check Here

Home > Fear of Flying > I am so scared to fly…
I am so scared to fly…
Flying - Fear of Flying
Thursday, 10 March 2011 02:47

Hey Capt,

I have to take a flight in July and honestly, I think about it everyday because I'm so scared. I am just afraid that it's my luck to be on the plane that crashes. I just keep thinking of the one thing and that's the plane crashing.

I am from Nova Scotia and when the Swiss Air flight went down in Peggy's Cove, I couldn't picture myself getting on a plane again. It’s been 14 years since I last flew and thinking about it is making my nerves bad alt

Any suggestions? Or even advice?

Thank you

Angie

In Flight Explanation 1
Hi Angie,

I continue to remind fearful flyers that everything we do in life involves some level of risks - going to the supermarket, crossing the road, taking a shower and many other simple chores. Flying is just one of those small risks. In fact, flying is one of the safest modes of transportation. That is why I am more fearful driving to work than flying on a plane!

In spite of that, surveys have still shown that only around one in sixteen is really comfortable flying and that one in six would avoid flying if they can help it. So you are not alone being scared to fly.

Let me go back to basic again. Flying fears are attributed to at least 5 causes. Firstly, there are those who have no confidence in planes, fear it would crash and they may die. (Do you belong to this category?)

Then there are those who are claustrophobic - fear of confined space, lack of air, choking and unable to escape.

The third causes are those who are fearful of height - fear of falling down.

The fourth one is panic attacks - loss of control of body, fast heartbeat or shallow breathing resulting in dizziness and disorientation.

The final cause is attributed to the fear of the unknown – those who have never flown and continues to fear flying

Well then, how to overcome it? It is not a quick fix but I have mentioned before that the best way to overcome it is to is empower yourself with knowledge. I have been doing my best in this site for many years now to explain things like, how plane fly? That wings would not snap in turbulence (except in extreme ones where no sane pilot would ever venture into one); aircraft can glide with engines failure; understand weather and turbulence; how planes are regulated for safety and being aware of the sight, sound and vibration of the planes.

Kindly view the two attached videos and also browse through the answers in many topics in this site.

I wish you a safe flight.

In Flight Explanation 2

Trackback(0)

TrackBack URI for this entry

Comments (6)

Subscribe to this comment's feed
A True Professional
Just wanted to let you know that you are a TRUE PROFESSIONAL. Your answers are always so well thought out and put together with the outmost respect. I can only imagine how discipline other areas of you life are! I wish you the best!smilies/smiley.gif
Hector , 29 Mar, 2011
scared to fly
hi there my name is jax i need help to stop being scared to fly it would be my first time i don't know why i am so scared all i know is its all booked up and every day i think about it i feel sick i think to myself stop being silly it cant be that bad but then i look at myself and think on the other hand what if and then i think of all the bad things you hear whats happened in the passed years what if it happens when I'm on that plane with my husband and four children! don't get me wrong i get excited to the fact i am going away to see friends of ours but its the plane the more i think about it the more i get scared i just want to stop thinking all the bad things that could happen but i just cant please help me if i cant do this it will spoil the rest of my family's excitement and expectorants smilies/cry.gif
jax , 02 Jul, 2011
62 - flying for 1st time on 5/11/12
And I am P E T R I F I E D!!!!!!!!

Going to KC, MO to see my youngest daughter & her husband. She will never forgive me if I back out... neither will my oldest that's booked the flight. Any words or suggestions that may possibly help put this in proper perspective will be so-ooo appreciated!
E-mail " This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it "
Thanks much -
sincerely,
Jane Bowlin in Richmond VA
Jane Bowlin , 25 Apr, 2012
I very much like to travel, but I fear flying and believe that I will die in a plane crash.I have flown in the past, but never enjoyed flying. A co worker, who avoided flying her whole life, took a chance and flew with her daughter to France. They were on Flight 800 which crashed. Before she took this flight she said, "Watch I crash and burn." Because I am afraid to fly like, my co worker, I fear the same will happen to me if I take a chance and fly.
Dee , 23 Jul, 2013
just flying alone
I am 13 years old. I will be flying from L.A. to N.Y by myself. I have done it before but i hate doing it because when my mom was 12 her dad died in a plane crash. PSA crash. And so i never got to meet him. Im just really scared of something happeningsmilies/sad.gif
Alaska , 09 Jun, 2014
just flying alone
I am 13 years old. I will be flying from L.A. to N.Y by myself. I have done it before but i hate doing it because when my mom was 12 her dad died in a plane crash. PSA crash. And so i never got to meet him. Im just really scared of something happeningsmilies/sad.gif
Alaska , 09 Jun, 2014

Write comment

smaller | bigger

busy

Paperback Version

For Local Availability - Check Here

Recommended By..

LIFE IN THE SKIES

'A Local Bestseller!'

Recommended by

Patrick Smith
Boston USA
(See
here)

Capt Meryl Getline
ex-United Airlines USA
(See
here)

Capt Doug Morris
Canadian Airlines
(See
here)

Capt  Robert J Boser
ex-United Airlines USA
(See
here)

Get an autographed copy here

AMAZON.COM  -  To Order, please Click here 

(eBook) Kindle edition - please Click here

View Book Launch video here

Follow me

@CaptKHLim

Like What You Read?

If you like what you read, more stories are found in my book LIFE IN THE SKIES (Preview here) and you can purchase a copy here. To check for any latest updates or postings, you can follow my Twitter at @CaptKHLim or Facebook here

MH 370 Interviews

Click here to View

10 Most Popular Posts

30 Previous Posts

Disclaimer | Privacy
2004 - 2011 © AskCaptainLim.com | Site Concept by eQuilec.com