Latest Comment

Vomiting on long hau
I have traveled a lot (almost 2 million miles) the

Can you become an ai
Hi captain , I had an accident 15 yrs ago and ha

Does a jet aircraft
Reading through the comments was both entertaining

Does a jet aircraft
So many nonsense here... Earth isn't flat. Period.

What are the cruisin
"how in the hell can you reach JFK if you leave fr

What are the eyesigh
tjsoihsdojfsioufs f post

What are the procedu
Hello Sir, I am currently B737NG Cpt.TRI /TRE hol

Could an A320 pilot
I plan to do ATR 72 -600 type rating , for that be

Is there less turbul
Flying from San Francisco to Philippines, end of M

What you have to do
Hi Capt . Im a grade 12 student and i really want

Paperback Version

For Local Availability - Check Here

Home > Fear of Flying > I am not afraid of flying but can you ease my fear about the landing?
I am not afraid of flying but can you ease my fear about the landing?
Flying - Fear of Flying
Sunday, 11 December 2005 09:28

Hello Captain Lim,

I really hope you will read this. I have a great fear of landing. I am not afraid of flying or turbulence as such but my heart races away as the plane is coming in for a landing. I always feel like it will tip over and blow up or skid off the runway because every landing is always really rough sometimes; it feels like the plane going out of control for a couple of seconds.

I know pilots are definitely trained, but what are the chances of something happening? I know the most critical times are landing and taking off but landing really, really scares me. I also feel like the plane is coming in at too high a speed to land properly. I also check to see if the plane is level before landing too.

Can you help me ease or get rid of this fear by explaining the exact process of how a place lands, etc, in terms of the wind and stuff?

Thank you,

Krystle.

Hi Krystle,

First of all, you must get this into your thoughts that flying in a commercial airplane is very safe - safer than the journey from your home to the airport! Yes, safe doesn't necessary mean that the flight will be absolutely smooth all the time. You can't help it because the plane has to move in three dimensions - up, down, left, right and forward. When you add in the turbulence factor, flying can be a little frightening to one not used to this unnatural means of travel because you were not born like a bird :-). So even if the plane wobbles a little in the air, it is normal just like you are on a boat.

From day one, a pilot is trained on how to land a plane safely. A landing is unsafe only when a plane is allowed to stall - that is, when the plane would drop off the sky! It should not happen in your flight as your captain has gone through very rigorous training and tests before he is qualified to command a commercial jetliner.

Remember, not every day will be smooth because no one can control the weather. So occasionally, you get the "wind and stuff" blowing the plane as it lands. A pilot knows how much crosswind the plane can take before he aborts the landing. Sure, the plane would shake a bit as it makes its final approach. This is to be expected. Even the landing can be a little harder than normal too.

Remember again, about three million people fly safely around the world everyday. Think positively. If you catch yourself dwelling onto negative thoughts, remind yourself of how safe flying is. (Please read "
How Safe is Flying"). Forget about the "what-ifs" and focus on happy thoughts or occupy yourself with something to do.

Leave the flying and landing of the plane to your captain. He has a family to go back to as well. He cares for his safety just as you would worry about it yourself!

I wish you a safe flight.

Trackback(0)

TrackBack URI for this entry

Comments (1)

Subscribe to this comment's feed
Landing
This is exaclty happens to me when i board the plane. When it lands, the moment when captain announces that we are going to descend, i feel the plane is diving too much and too fast. many times when it approches the runway it shake in its own axis, what if on the line of approach to runway plane hit with a turbulence, say due to the warm exahaust of already landed plane in the same path.surely it will drift or fall,is nt it too dangerous if a plane falls couple of feet during landing (though am not expert) may be pilot will have no room for adjustment the altitude? please explain? is landing is manual or automatic? or manual with computer air? what if plance is too fast while landing? (ex : Mangalore air crash over riding the run way??)
vivian , 01 Aug, 2010

Write comment

smaller | bigger

busy

Paperback Version

For Local Availability - Check Here

Recommended By..

LIFE IN THE SKIES

'A Local Bestseller!'

Recommended by

Patrick Smith
Boston USA
(See
here)

Capt Meryl Getline
ex-United Airlines USA
(See
here)

Capt Doug Morris
Canadian Airlines
(See
here)

Capt  Robert J Boser
ex-United Airlines USA
(See
here)

38 Readers' Comments
(See here)

Get an autographed copy here

AMAZON.COM  -  To Order, please Click here 

(eBook) Kindle edition - please Click here

View Book Launch video here

Follow me

@CaptKHLim

Like What You Read?

If you like what you read, more stories are found in my book LIFE IN THE SKIES (Preview here) and you can purchase a copy here. To check for any latest updates or postings, you can follow my Twitter at @CaptKHLim or Facebook here

MH 370 Interviews

Click here to View

10 Most Popular Posts

Disclaimer | Privacy
2004 - 2011 © AskCaptainLim.com | Site Concept by eQuilec.com