PLEASE stop asking about your eyes!!! Read the art

Vomiting on long hau
I have traveled a lot (almost 2 million miles) the

Can you become an ai
Hi captain , I had an accident 15 yrs ago and ha

Does a jet aircraft
Reading through the comments was both entertaining

Does a jet aircraft
So many nonsense here... Earth isn't flat. Period.

What are the cruisin
"how in the hell can you reach JFK if you leave fr

What are the eyesigh
tjsoihsdojfsioufs f post

What are the procedu
Hello Sir, I am currently B737NG Cpt.TRI /TRE hol

Could an A320 pilot
I plan to do ATR 72 -600 type rating , for that be

Paperback Version

For Local Availability - Check Here

Home > Fear of Flying > I am so scared that the plane will not have enough power to get airborne...
I am so scared that the plane will not have enough power to get airborne...
Flying - Fear of Flying
Thursday, 29 September 2005 06:57

Hi Captain Lim,

Thank you for such a great website. Funnily enough, I have traveled all around the world since I was young and have always loved flying. But for some strange reason a couple of years ago, I suddenly became terrified, and I honestly can't think as to why (I didn't have a bad experience that I can remember). Now I am petrified of flying. I still do fly when I have to.

My two worst parts of the flying are:

1. The take off - I am so scared that the plane will not have enough power to get airborne and it will stall and crash. How likely is this to happen? Also, if you take off on a windy day, is it possible that the plane shakes too much and loses its balance on take off?

2. Flying at night / through cloud. I have to see where I am going and panic when the plane is bumping around and I can't see a thing out of the window. How can the pilots see where they are going? Do they get worried when the plane is in thick cloud and bumping around, and they cannot see?

How valid are my fears? Sorry to sound like a nutter but this newly found "fear of flying" is really starting to annoy me, especially as I once dreamed of a career in travel. This isn't exactly the best start, is it?

Thanks

Natasha

Hi Natasha,

1. You can leave the worry of the take off to your pilot. Remember, he has gone through very rigorous training to know when it is safe or unsafe to take off. If it weren't safe, he would abort the take off at the decision speed. He even knows precisely that, if he had passed that decision speed, he could still safely climb away should an engine quit on him at the worst moment. I have covered engine failure in a previous 
FAQ.

Every plane has a limiting crosswind speed for take off. So a pilot knows that it would be safe to continue with the take off even though it is windy because of the limitation. On the Boeing 777, the crosswind limitation is around 38 knots (44 mph) for take off.

Yes, on a crosswind (or windy) take off, the plane may shake a bit as it lifts off. This is because of turbulence caused by ground effect, but the plane would not lose its balance. It is under control by the pilot all the time.

2. A pilot is trained to fly at night or through clouds even with zero visibility. He need not have to look out in the air as he is guided by instruments in the cockpit. He is not worried to fly in darkness because he has passed his flight test and has an instrument rating - meaning that he has a license to fly at night and inside the clouds, virtually blind!

Hope this will make you feel better as understanding the how's and why's about flying is half the battle won in combating your fear of flying.

Trackback(0)

TrackBack URI for this entry

Comments (2)

Subscribe to this comment's feed
i love gooing on holiday but i get really bad butterflys in my stomach (HELP)
I have been on holiday loads of times i have even been to australia but when i go on holiday now i get so scared and i feel like jelly i really am scared to go on the plane i hate it when it goes up thats the worst and landing please help is there anything you can do to make me love going on planes. helllpppp smilies/cool.gifsmilies/cool.gifsmilies/cool.gifsmilies/sad.gifsmilies/sad.gifsmilies/smiley.gifthanks.
jess , 14 Apr, 2010
Scared something might happen while flying
Hey,
I have Been overseas a few times and i enjoyed got there safe and came back safe i just have really bad worried some thing might happen when flying all of a sudden im going on holidays in 2 weeks to melbourne on tiger airways and i have never been on it and im really scared can you please help me overcome my fear please thanks smilies/cry.gifsmilies/sad.gif
Jessica T , 29 Jul, 2012

Write comment

smaller | bigger

busy

Paperback Version

For Local Availability - Check Here

Recommended By..

LIFE IN THE SKIES

'A Local Bestseller!'

Recommended by

Patrick Smith
Boston USA
(See
here)

Capt Meryl Getline
ex-United Airlines USA
(See
here)

Capt Doug Morris
Canadian Airlines
(See
here)

Capt  Robert J Boser
ex-United Airlines USA
(See
here)

38 Readers' Comments
(See here)

Get an autographed copy here

AMAZON.COM  -  To Order, please Click here 

(eBook) Kindle edition - please Click here

View Book Launch video here

Follow me

@CaptKHLim

Like What You Read?

If you like what you read, more stories are found in my book LIFE IN THE SKIES (Preview here) and you can purchase a copy here. To check for any latest updates or postings, you can follow my Twitter at @CaptKHLim or Facebook here

MH 370 Interviews

Click here to View

10 Most Popular Posts

Disclaimer | Privacy
2004 - 2011 © AskCaptainLim.com | Site Concept by eQuilec.com