What happens if I ge
I have seen a comment from a Flight attendant that

What are the eyesigh
Captain, I am in class 11 in India and want to bec

What are the eyesigh
PLEASE stop asking about your eyes!!! Read the art

Paperback Version

For Local Availability - Check Here

Home > Fear of Flying > I have a terrible, terrible fear of flying over the Ocean?
I have a terrible, terrible fear of flying over the Ocean?
Flying - Fear of Flying
Thursday, 07 June 2007 21:35

Hi Captain Lim,

I ran across your website in a Google search. I was searching sites because I will be flying again very soon. I have only flown once and that was about 9 months ago. I flew from USA to Germany. I will be flying back with my fianc?. I have a terrible, terrible fear of flying, especially over the Atlantic. I think if I didn*t have to go over the water, I wouldn*t be nearly as hesitant about flying.

I often ask myself "if a plane crashed into the ocean, would it go underwater and drown everyone? Maybe it would explode on impact?" That is the biggest question I ask myself. It sounds absolutely ridiculous, I know. Even while I write this to you, I am extremely nervous. Even when I talk about it I get completely crazy. My fianc? loves to fly and he has no worries - which makes it even harder for me.

Is there anything you can tell me about flying over the Ocean - the worst-case scenarios? What the captain would do in that case?

I hope you can help me to overcome this fear. I will be flying back and forth from USA to Germany for the rest of my life. I am quite young and I hope I can overcome this fear and enjoy flying as others can. I look forward to your reply!

Sincerely,

Alisha

Hi Alisha,

All you queries have been mainly covered in my FAQ regarding airplane ditching

You should also read topics under fear of flying
to gain more knowledge about air safety.

Take some time to read through all the relevant FAQ in the three topics and I am sure, when you are well informed, your fears will eventually fade away.

Have a good day :-)

Trackback(0)

TrackBack URI for this entry

Comments (8)

Subscribe to this comment's feed
I feel the same way
In July I will be flying to Hawaii . I am so nervous! I am fine flying anywhere else, just not over ocean. I feel so bad for you and hope that your fears go away!
Anastasia , 11 Jun, 2009
I understand
I have the same exact fear. Me and my family go to Hawaii every August and I hate flying. I love flying over cities but flying over the ocean scares the hell out of me. Im really scared of crashing into water because drowning is one of my worst fears. But I just tell myself this: the only thing you really need to fear is driving to the airport cus you could easily get in a car crash then a plane crash. I also tell my self that theres a one in 7 million chance you'll get in a plane crash. Flying is the safest travel option on the planet. Thats a fact. Another thing to think about is you have more of a chance of getting struck by lightning or dying from a dog bite or bee sting then you do getting in a fatal plane crash. I'm still scared of flying but I just distract myself and put the window shade down. Good luck and hope I helped. By the way, im 14 smilies/smiley.gif
Hailey , 15 Aug, 2009
Just the thing to cure the fear of flight!
Watch the tv show LOST.
Benny , 04 Nov, 2009
i am also scared to fly over the ocean
i am goin to florida in 2 days and i am only goin to be over the ocean for maybe 2 hrs if that long and im scared. ever since i seen that movie cast away i am scarred to fly over the ocean plus theres no view at all just water ..but i am bringin my mp3 player so hopefully i wont be as scarred as before
jasmine , 25 Jan, 2010
cool mark
smilies/kiss.gifsmilies/cry.gifsmilies/kiss.gif i am so scared of flying and i am going to cuba tommrow maybe i just brig my mp3
mark , 29 Jun, 2010
Scared to fly over Ocean!
I was reading some of the comments, I am flying to hawaii and I am deathly afraid to fly over the ocean. I get the shakes just thinking about it. I wish there was somthing I could do to relax about this. but its nice to know I am not the only one scared of this.. Thanks..
J. Johnson , 16 Feb, 2011
Freaked out..
Hey, so in two days I'm flying from Michigan all the way to Denmark! And that means I'm taking the ocean route across the Atlantic. I am deathly afraid of flying over the ocean , and wondering what would happen if we crashed. I'm super nervous and I'm on their for about near 12-14 hours. So Im scared!im 14
Celine , 08 Nov, 2014
a bit different...
Well, I hate going over the ocean anywhere, whether it be on a plane or a car or walking. But I am really afraid of this silly thing- crashing or dying in water- IN A VIDEO GAME. I HATE going over water in Flight Simulation or Battlefield. IDK why, but I always close my eyes and avoid it. I get real freaked if I do... smilies/sad.gif
anonymous person , 16 Nov, 2014

Write comment

smaller | bigger

busy

Paperback Version

For Local Availability - Check Here

Recommended By..

LIFE IN THE SKIES

'A Local Bestseller!'

Recommended by

Patrick Smith
Boston USA
(See
here)

Capt Meryl Getline
ex-United Airlines USA
(See
here)

Capt Doug Morris
Canadian Airlines
(See
here)

Capt  Robert J Boser
ex-United Airlines USA
(See
here)

38 Readers' Comments
(See here)

Get an autographed copy here

AMAZON.COM  -  To Order, please Click here 

(eBook) Kindle edition - please Click here

View Book Launch video here

Follow me

@CaptKHLim

Like What You Read?

If you like what you read, more stories are found in my book LIFE IN THE SKIES (Preview here) and you can purchase a copy here. To check for any latest updates or postings, you can follow my Twitter at @CaptKHLim or Facebook here

MH 370 Interviews

Click here to View

10 Most Popular Posts

Disclaimer | Privacy
2004 - 2011 © AskCaptainLim.com | Site Concept by eQuilec.com