PLEASE stop asking about your eyes!!! Read the art

Vomiting on long hau
I have traveled a lot (almost 2 million miles) the

Can you become an ai
Hi captain , I had an accident 15 yrs ago and ha

Does a jet aircraft
Reading through the comments was both entertaining

Does a jet aircraft
So many nonsense here... Earth isn't flat. Period.

What are the cruisin
"how in the hell can you reach JFK if you leave fr

What are the eyesigh
tjsoihsdojfsioufs f post

What are the procedu
Hello Sir, I am currently B737NG Cpt.TRI /TRE hol

Could an A320 pilot
I plan to do ATR 72 -600 type rating , for that be

Is there less turbul
Flying from San Francisco to Philippines, end of M

Paperback Version

For Local Availability - Check Here

Home > Air Travel > Is it still safe to fly with budget cuts and bankruptcy problems?
Is it still safe to fly with budget cuts and bankruptcy problems?
Flying - Air Travel
Sunday, 25 September 2005 22:41

Dear Captain Lim,

About 1 1/2 years ago, I wrote to you concerning how safe is flying, etc. You responded and helped me out quite a bit. I would like to say that I appreciate the time and effort you have put into your web site.

I am flying back to Hungary and am fearful once again. I am wondering if you could help me out. I am flying with Delta Airlines direct from Cincinnati to Paris and then onward to Budapest.

My question is, as a result of bankruptcy problems with the airlines today, do you think it is as safe to fly? (due to budget cuts, etc.) Also, I am wondering whether the pilots flying out of the US are as good as those pilots since then. My 2nd flight is with Air France. And lastly, do you know of any more web sites that could help me. Oh, are the Boeing 777s the safest planes in the world today?

Thanks again,

Ricky, Cincinnati, USA.

Hi Ricky,

I wish to reassure you that airline pilots, wherever they may be from, are professionals. See this
FAQ (Are Asian airline pilots any less competent?) They may complain about pay, pension payments, overworked, etc, but when it comes to flying and safety, nothing is compromised! Some major airlines in the US such as United Airlines, US Airways, Delta and Northwest airlines have bankruptcy problems but they have continued to operate safely. Yes, I know, bankruptcies have psychological effect on air travelers. Many fliers think bankruptcies are liquidation and massive cost cutting that would affect air safety. In reality, it is not the case. For instance, the Chapter 11 protection allows carriers to restructure successfully and continues to fly. Some even say that bankruptcy is the best thing to have happened to these major carriers.

Yes, US airline pilots, since you last flown are just as good as those you are going to fly with despite the bankruptcy problems. See how well Captain Scott Burke of JetBlue handled the landing of the defective Airbus A320 nose gears at the Los Angeles Airport last Wednesday evening - view the
CNN video clip here. Well, the professional pilots of Air France are equally good!

Do I know of any more web sites that could be of help to you? Yes, I am personally in contact with two websites that may be useful to you as we share the same interest - writing on air safety and fear of flying issues. The first one is the Fear of
Flying Forum here hosted by the editor of AirlineSafety.com, Capt Robert J Boser. He is a very experienced ex-United Airlines pilot with 33 years of flying behind him and flew many types of aircraft, such as the DC-6 right up to the Boeing 777.

The second site that may be of interest to you is from a current lady Boeing 777 captain from United Airlines. She is Cap'n Meryl Getline and runs this site, From the Cockpit as well as a Teleseminar here. (By the way, she has already written a successful book "The World at My Feet" with another one coming out soon!)

Are the Boeing 777s the safest planes in the world today? Ah, if you were asking the three pilots who have flown this aircraft, our views would probably be biased. Personally, I would say, yes despite one unfortunate close call that I know of. So far, there are no hull losses yet (touch wood!) and I hope it will continue to be so!

Wish you a safe flight to Budapest!

Trackback(0)

TrackBack URI for this entry

Comments (0)

Subscribe to this comment's feed

Write comment

smaller | bigger

busy

Paperback Version

For Local Availability - Check Here

Recommended By..

LIFE IN THE SKIES

'A Local Bestseller!'

Recommended by

Patrick Smith
Boston USA
(See
here)

Capt Meryl Getline
ex-United Airlines USA
(See
here)

Capt Doug Morris
Canadian Airlines
(See
here)

Capt  Robert J Boser
ex-United Airlines USA
(See
here)

38 Readers' Comments
(See here)

Get an autographed copy here

AMAZON.COM  -  To Order, please Click here 

(eBook) Kindle edition - please Click here

View Book Launch video here

Follow me

@CaptKHLim

Like What You Read?

If you like what you read, more stories are found in my book LIFE IN THE SKIES (Preview here) and you can purchase a copy here. To check for any latest updates or postings, you can follow my Twitter at @CaptKHLim or Facebook here

MH 370 Interviews

Click here to View

10 Most Popular Posts

Disclaimer | Privacy
2004 - 2011 © AskCaptainLim.com | Site Concept by eQuilec.com