PLEASE stop asking about your eyes!!! Read the art

Vomiting on long hau
I have traveled a lot (almost 2 million miles) the

Can you become an ai
Hi captain , I had an accident 15 yrs ago and ha

Does a jet aircraft
Reading through the comments was both entertaining

Does a jet aircraft
So many nonsense here... Earth isn't flat. Period.

What are the cruisin
"how in the hell can you reach JFK if you leave fr

What are the eyesigh
tjsoihsdojfsioufs f post

What are the procedu
Hello Sir, I am currently B737NG Cpt.TRI /TRE hol

Could an A320 pilot
I plan to do ATR 72 -600 type rating , for that be

Is there less turbul
Flying from San Francisco to Philippines, end of M

Paperback Version

For Local Availability - Check Here

Home > Air Travel > Bird Strike Dangers: Are African birds larger than European ones?
Bird Strike Dangers: Are African birds larger than European ones?
Flying - Air Travel
Monday, 25 September 2006 08:46

Dear Captain Lim,

Congratulations on flying the Airbus A320! I have heard that it is a very nice plane to fly and the side stick is also very comfortable.

My mum recently bought a new car and it has ultrasonic sensors on the rear bumper so that she doesn't reverse into anything. Could a system like this be incorporated into the tail of a fly-by-wire aircraft (like the A320 or the B777) so that the computers will stop the aircraft from scraping the tail?

Incidentally, my mum found your website very reassuring when I showed it to her before she flew to Italy on an A319. She is (was) terrified of flying because she was on a plane (British Airways or British Caledonian, I don't know which) taking off from Nairobi in the late 1970s/early 1980s (not sure when) back to London when a bird flew into the engine, causing it to catch fire.

I have seen the effects of a bird striking a Rolls Royce Trent (as on a B777) and it was not that dramatic. Were tests not as stringent in the past? Or do they test with smaller birds (chickens?) and this engine ate a vulture?

Does this mean that flying in Africa where there are larger birds is more dangerous than flying in Europe where the birds are much smaller?

Thanks,

Felix

Hi Felix,

I note that you are just as concerned about tail strikes than pilots are! Sure, although a car ultrasonic sensors operation works on a different principle, it would have been nice to develop some form of anti-tail strike device in all airplanes. In reality, very few planes have them. As far as I know, only the latest B777-300ER and B777-200LR have such tail-strike protection. This software feature helps prevent inadvertent scraping of the tail on the runway at takeoff or landing by commanding elevator movement if the airplane*s attitude exceeds preset limits.

Even the Airbus A340-600 (stretched version that is most prone to tail strike) doesn*t have a system similar to the Boeing 773ER*s Tail-Strike Protection. However, it does employ a pitch limit indicator with associated aural warnings - also found on the Airbus A320. This cannot be said to be exactly the same but serves the same purpose to prevent tail strikes.

On a different note - what about bird strikes? Yes, most modern jet engines can handle bird strikes quite well. Very often, small to medium sized birds are ingested into jet engines harmlessly (like a meat grinder eh? :-). Other times, they can do slight damage, like causing some dents on the turbine blades. It happened on the engine of an Airbus A320 I flew recently? yet it was no big deal after the engineer cleared the plane for further flights (as it was within tolerence)! Of course, in the worst-case scenario, large birds may cause more serious damage to the engine of some older planes.

So are African birds larger? Possible. Nevertheless, pilots are alerted frequently of migratory birds in the vicinity most airports. Yes, they are vigilant of such menace and do take note of them, taking avoidance action whenever possible, to ensure your safety!

Trackback(0)

TrackBack URI for this entry

Comments (0)

Subscribe to this comment's feed

Write comment

smaller | bigger

busy

Paperback Version

For Local Availability - Check Here

Recommended By..

LIFE IN THE SKIES

'A Local Bestseller!'

Recommended by

Patrick Smith
Boston USA
(See
here)

Capt Meryl Getline
ex-United Airlines USA
(See
here)

Capt Doug Morris
Canadian Airlines
(See
here)

Capt  Robert J Boser
ex-United Airlines USA
(See
here)

38 Readers' Comments
(See here)

Get an autographed copy here

AMAZON.COM  -  To Order, please Click here 

(eBook) Kindle edition - please Click here

View Book Launch video here

Follow me

@CaptKHLim

Like What You Read?

If you like what you read, more stories are found in my book LIFE IN THE SKIES (Preview here) and you can purchase a copy here. To check for any latest updates or postings, you can follow my Twitter at @CaptKHLim or Facebook here

MH 370 Interviews

Click here to View

10 Most Popular Posts

Disclaimer | Privacy
2004 - 2011 © AskCaptainLim.com | Site Concept by eQuilec.com