PLEASE stop asking about your eyes!!! Read the art

Vomiting on long hau
I have traveled a lot (almost 2 million miles) the

Can you become an ai
Hi captain , I had an accident 15 yrs ago and ha

Does a jet aircraft
Reading through the comments was both entertaining

Does a jet aircraft
So many nonsense here... Earth isn't flat. Period.

What are the cruisin
"how in the hell can you reach JFK if you leave fr

What are the eyesigh
tjsoihsdojfsioufs f post

Paperback Version

For Local Availability - Check Here

Home > Air Travel > Everything we do in life has its own degree of risk.
Everything we do in life has its own degree of risk.
Flying - Air Travel
Wednesday, 18 November 2015 07:37

By Anna Lee

(This article is an extract from Vulcan Post - a Singapore Top Tech lifestyle blog . For the full article please click here  and for the full text of the talk - please click here)

Image Credit: TEDxPetalingStreet Facebook page

When I found out that I was invited to attend the TEDxPetalingStreet event and that it was going to be conducted mostly in the Mandarin dialect, I second guessed myself and wondered if I should even go. You see, I’m a little embarrassed to admit that my knowledge of this dialect is close to an elementary school-goer’s level, especially when it comes to speaking the language.

I do converse in Mandarin and other Chinese dialects from time to time, but I somehow figured that the speakers would be using complicated sentences in their presentations, words that I won’t be able to comprehend. Fortunately, the 18 speakers, some of which spoke in English, gave their presentations using simpler terms, as they were after all talking about their life stories.

The theme of this recent TEDxPetalingStreet event was “The Path”, which is about treading the less travelled way to success and to seek out ways to be better and find your passion on uncertain territories.

The speakers were all allotted an 18-minute time slot each and none of them seemed to be bothered by the short amount of time they were given. In fact, the event’s host, Bunz Yeoh told the crowd of around 1,000 guests, that these 18 individuals are used to speaking way longer than 20 minutes.

However, they did manage to cap it off well under the given time and none of our attention spans were compromised either.

Speaking on various topics such as lion dance, agriculture, opera pop and traditional games, it really was a mix of topics that we normally would not be privy to. With the talk, I managed to pick up 4 valuable points from the speakers.

Captain Lim Khoy Hing was one of the few speakers who conversed in English and it was perfect, because I noticed that some of the guests were not of Chinese descent and probably would have found it more convenient to listen to an English speaker (well, I could be wrong and they might have been really proficient in Mandarin).

Either way, it did not seem to matter what language Captain Lim spoke in. He was hands down one of the speakers who garnered the whole room’s respect. He started off his presentation by saying “This is your Captain speaking”, and was decked fully in a pilot’s outfit.

I could not help but smile, for Captain Lim who will be turning 70 soon, reminds me of a friendly grandfather lending his advice to his many children. He has his own website where people may submit their questions about flying, and as such, he spoke on the various topics he has covered through his website. This includes how flying is often times safer than driving on the road.

Captain Lim concluded how everything we do in life takes a level of calculated risk. However, if we were afraid of flying, we will always be stuck on the ground, unable to experience the exhilaration of what the world has to offer. Often times, we should just take the risk and run with it because we never know what might come out of it.

Trackback(0)

TrackBack URI for this entry

Comments (1)

Subscribe to this comment's feed
Dead bodies
Is it true that there are dead bodies in cargo on most commercial flights?
Henry , 12 Jan, 2016

Write comment

smaller | bigger

busy

Paperback Version

For Local Availability - Check Here

Recommended By..

LIFE IN THE SKIES

'A Local Bestseller!'

Recommended by

Patrick Smith
Boston USA
(See
here)

Capt Meryl Getline
ex-United Airlines USA
(See
here)

Capt Doug Morris
Canadian Airlines
(See
here)

Capt  Robert J Boser
ex-United Airlines USA
(See
here)

38 Readers' Comments
(See here)

Get an autographed copy here

AMAZON.COM  -  To Order, please Click here 

(eBook) Kindle edition - please Click here

View Book Launch video here

Follow me

@CaptKHLim

Like What You Read?

If you like what you read, more stories are found in my book LIFE IN THE SKIES (Preview here) and you can purchase a copy here. To check for any latest updates or postings, you can follow my Twitter at @CaptKHLim or Facebook here

MH 370 Interviews

Click here to View

10 Most Popular Posts

Disclaimer | Privacy
2004 - 2011 © AskCaptainLim.com | Site Concept by eQuilec.com